Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

BILLY 04 Sep 2021 18:37 #225388

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 750
Your soldering looks really good, come and fix my spare petrol tank when you have a quiet weekend. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

BILLY 04 Sep 2021 21:28 #225405

• cobbadog
  • cobbadog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 975
There is room for improvement but I was taught by the best, my Dad who after a day at working as a sheet metal worker/welder came home only to do more sheet metal work making up down pipe offsets, guttering corners for a few local hardwares and that meant a lot of soldering. One thing I watched him do was to solder lead flashing to a galvanised flue on a shop roof in wind. Finished job looked like he wiped silicone around the joint it was that neat.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

BILLY 05 Sep 2021 11:26 #225414

• cobbadog
Tested the fuel tank and tap for leaks and all is good. Then thought why waste the fuel so I connected it to the carby and filled the carby and removed the tank. Second pull and away it went. Happy as can be! Only slight issue was a small amount of fuel spray coming back out the carby but maybe this is because the rings could be a bit stuck and need to seat again or that this carby is bigger than the original carby and I may have had too much going in and it wont take it. Either way I'm not bothered about it as yet.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

BILLY 10 Sep 2021 15:57 #225655

• cobbadog
Well I have got this far and again I took a short cut in the mounting of the fuel tank plus an extra stiffening bar to stop the wobbles. In pictures I have seen of the Peach Tin mower there was only an "L" shaped bracket mounted off the crankcase bolt. I did the same then ran an extra piece to the frame bolt as well. Also I used a band bracket to hold the fuel tank to the bracket, this again is non genuine but a quick and easy way to mount it plus the bracket is period correct for this era. I have the new larger wheels on the way so will be good once they get here and finally the new MIG welder has arrived so will play with it tomorrow then make some adjustments to the handles so they sit better.
Right from the beginning this was to make a 'rough' replica of the original to offer an insight into what kicked off Victa lawn mowers. So from the wrong Model Villiers, even to the point that the spark plug is facing the wrong way, wrong carby for that engine even the mounting of the fuel tank but I am happy with the tank and its size and shape to the cast iron wheels being brand new and if the picture I have seen is correct they will be similar looking to the originals. No blades will be fitted but I will be fitting a lump of steel to the bottom of the crank to help smooth out the engine when running at low speed. Not sure if it will be round or in the shape of a cutting bar as the original looked.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, oliver1950

BILLY 11 Sep 2021 07:49 #225682

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1339
No blades will mean no close shave, looks good to me

Many years ago when we had a TV aerial hooked up the Princess used to watch those home improvement/decorating shows, bare with me here

One of the things they always went on about was following a theme to closely, becuase if you do and change one item the whole room looks out of whack

So when building something like this, a "tribute" to another item, in this case a mower. If it was built to be exactly the same a lot of experts would notice every little detail that wasn't correct

Building as you have allows you a lot more interpretation in what you do as nothing is quite spot on but also nothing is wrong or incorrect

Hope that makes sense, carry on your doing a good job and I like it

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

BILLY 11 Sep 2021 09:10 #225683

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 572
Cobbadog You are doing a great job. It is good that you have found a suitable use for the old tin. Many thanks for re-imbursing the cost of postage.

As I heard a New-Australian lady say some years ago, to her Son who had organised a party:- "Youse has done good."
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

BILLY 11 Sep 2021 14:52 #225692

• cobbadog
Yes Paul, I have been known to build and show things that are NOT right and sometimes in many ways. I do this just to piss off the 'Purists" My Hybrid mower from years back worked a treat at the Clarendon Classic where upon my return from buying lunch I noticed a bloke looking at the Hybrid shaking his head. Since he had no idea of who the owner was I stood next to him and said nothing. Then he couldn't help himself. He started explaining all the things that were wrong and that it was a mower never built by Victa. I let him go on for a while and just when I thought he was about to walk away I asked if he had read the sign that I make to stand near our toys explaining what it is the public are looking at. In my sign I explained how I bought a box of parts of a mower for $25.00 and there were some really nice parts in the box. The Seller was a teacher and he had taken it to school as a project for the kids to put together and unfortunately they could not. Maybe becasue there was a mix of 125cc and 160 parts in the same box was why nothing worked. But I had a heap of bits at home so assembled a 125cc Hybrid using a Utility frame and various 125cc engine parts. To finish it all off I gave it a nice 2pac Victa Green finish and a very nice bright white Hybrid decal.
This bloke still did not get the message so I tried to explain it to him slowly and in plain English but all he could do is say those parts don't belong together. Eventually he stopped and asked how I knew so much about it and so I enlightened him and told him I built it just for idiots like him. He got the message.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600Dodge

BILLY 11 Sep 2021 14:57 #225693

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 126
There was a bloke on youtube building a heap of Victa mowers he had got for free, some of the comments from the mower purists were ridiculous, even down to colours of spark plug leads.

BILLY 11 Sep 2021 16:59 #225695

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 356
Why not use a disc under the engine (so no sharp or pointy bits to bite) but paint a blade on it.

BILLY 11 Sep 2021 20:25 #225711

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1339

Why not use a disc under the engine (so no sharp or pointy bits to bite) but paint a blade on it.

LOL, could paint on the disc, "if blades were fitted they might hurt"

You could have some fun writing things on the disc

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558