Skip to main content

BILLY

More
2 years 7 months ago #225724 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic BILLY
I want a lump of steel 5mm thick for the weight and to suit the step in the crankshaft where it bolts on. I guess there was a centrifical clutch originally in this position hence the step.
I have plenty of standard blade discs kicking about but I want to keep any moving parts well inside the frame. A bar would look a bit better than a disc to my way of thinking but will come down to what I find first.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225754 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic BILLY

No blades will mean no close shave, looks good to me

Many years ago when we had a TV aerial hooked up the Princess used to watch those home improvement/decorating shows, bare with me here

One of the things they always went on about was following a theme to closely, becuase if you do and change one item the whole room looks out of whack

So when building something like this, a "tribute" to another item, in this case a mower. If it was built to be exactly the same a lot of experts would notice every little detail that wasn't correct

Building as you have allows you a lot more interpretation in what you do as nothing is quite spot on but also nothing is wrong or incorrect

Hope that makes sense, carry on your doing a good job and I like it

Paul

You'll make a Modern abstract Artist yet, Paul.....:side:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #225766 by cobbadog
I think I will have to work a lot harder on the "Tactile Patina" or what ever it is they go on about. All I know is that they seem to get very excited about it when they simply mention those words.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225775 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic BILLY
I think that “tactile patina” means rust you can feel:sick: :sick:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 7 months ago #225830 by cobbadog
I was going great guns today on BILLY. I found out I had too much slack in the Victa throttle cable and way back over 50 years I had cut down the inner cable and re-soldered the ball back on so I thought I would do it again. Then discovered that the outter cable did not fit the throttle lever properly so I had to turn up an adaptor firsdt before cutting down the inner cable.
I decided to drill a hole in a piece of 3/16"flat bar iron then make a slot in it to fit the cable through then fill up the hole. So with the cable cut to length, after tinning the area to be cut I put it in the 'mould' and heated up the soldering iron and melted the solder in.
My memory served me correctly about a return spring inside the carby and good old Bunnings came to the rescue with a 3/16" OD spring the right length. Just as I was finishing this off the new bigger wheels were delivered and this was the 2nd last thing needed to be done before it is complete. Last thing is the flywheel or blade holder for the bottom of the crank shaft. Then a heap of work turned up in the delivery department and that finished play time. Pics tomorrow after work is done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
2 years 7 months ago #225832 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic BILLY
Cobba

I think you are going to have starting problems. Old rope lawnmowers had a handle to hold or a plate to put your foot on to pull the rope. I think when you go the big heave you might fling the whole device over the fence into the neighbour's back yard. I remember pulling those dreadful Seagull outboards with a coiled rope, flicking out your passengers eyes with the knot on the end or falling back on your arse and nearly capsizing the dinghy.

You will certainly need something to hold it down as putting your hand on top of the pully might give you blisters.

Lang

More
2 years 7 months ago #225836 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic BILLY
Cordless drill and a socket to fit the big nut on top.

May not be historically correct but at least the motor will start.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225837 by Lang
Zuffen

He could use your system but be historically correct with a hand drill or brace and bit.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 years 7 months ago #225847 by cobbadog
Hi Lang, I'm sure if it ends up over the fence theeeey will toss it back. For well over 50 years now I have had and used early Victa mowers with the rope around the pulley and have never put my foot on the base plate for starting, always on the front wheel only. The other thing that helps is god timing and strong electrics. Now with this little gem the engine in this one is 70cc and is a very easy starter after checking and replacing the coil and using the film capacitor instead of a condensor. I spent too much time at work tday so we can get away next Friday with the caravan so only got a little bit of finishing work done today. So tomorrow is the day it gets finished. Will do a video of BILLY running but still no blade holder.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225851 by Lang
We need the start pull included in the video (all of them!)

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds