Skip to main content

BILLY

More
2 years 7 months ago #225925 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic BILLY
Catch with 2- smokes is the crankshaft seals need to be 100% ,or new rings wont make a difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225928 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic BILLY
Main reason for no blades and or whipper snipper cord is they get a b it pissed when you turn up to Rallies with them on or you dont start and run them.

These early Villiers have no crankshaft seals only long bronze bushes as the bearings. Today was a big winner with some rings, I picked up a box of coils and condensors to test and return to the owner as payment for my replacement coil and he also had a set of 43mm rings, well 2 sets. Difference being the ring width and I think these take the wider rings. Will return the tested box of bits later this week as they are already done then after a quick holiday to Coonabarabran and Gilgandra I will strip the barrel off and have a look inside. Still will be following up on the carby issue and main jet size.
A couple of resons for this one smoking as much as it is would be the oil I squirted inside the crank early in its new life with me to get some lube happening straight away even while turning it over by hand, plus the slightly oilier mix I made up for it. Once I get it sorted the smoke will stop as none of the other 2 strokes send out signals to the natives.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226566 by cobbadog
Well today I got back to Billy and removed the carby, muffler and barrel. This took almost 15 minutes. As expected I found a lot of blow by on the piston telling me the rings were shot as was the gasket between the barrel and crankcase. I had 2 sets of rings to choose from a narrow set which were right for the ring groove and a thicker set to be returned to the supplier at Rustic Spares. Took the piston off and cleaned out the grooves and wire buffed the piston ready to ft the new rings on to. But before that happens I want to use my hone and clean up the bore then gap the rings as there is no gap there at the moment. I will use my internal micrometer to check measure the bore top to near bottom and see how much wear there is and make the ring gap to suit a happy median. Then I made a new gasket for the barrel to crankcase and used the old gasket to get the rough shape and cut the bore out first. Then using my tiny ball pein hammer I made the stud holes then hammered the outside shape. You can also see the difference between the old rings on the bottom to the new ones at the top.

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226570 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic BILLY
Cobbadog a "happy median?" I think it is a happy medium, or is that a laughing fortune teller?
:woohoo:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226572 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic BILLY
Morris

You are right but if he took twenty measurements of the gap and put them down as a graph he could then find a happy median along the curve. I think Cobba might be more of a mathematician than we expected and chose the correct term.

You strike a happy median, meaning it's a compromise or middle ground that suits all parties.

Happy medium. A good choice or condition that avoids any extremes The car's designers have found/struck a happy medium between affordability and luxury.

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, V8Ian

More
2 years 6 months ago #226577 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic BILLY
I always thought that a Happy Medium was a smiling ghost.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226588 by cobbadog
I feel I did choose the right word. Take the biggest from the smallest and go for the middle.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe

More
2 years 6 months ago #226602 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic BILLY
Should hopefully make all the difference when with the fresh rings

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 6 months ago #226645 by cobbadog
This morning I measured the bore after a quick hone and this thing still measure standard 43mm even. So the ring set were for 0.020" oversize so a little bit of filing was in order to set the ring gap. I have discovered that an el cheapo set of diamond files from that auction site for about 5 bucks a few years back work so well for dressing point contacts and for filing the ends of rings too. It is sugested that you use water with them and so do I. Once gapped I fit the rings to the piston then drive the gudgeon pin in just far enough that it goes over the small end bush but I can feel when it lines up to hit it in. Once the pin is ready I then fit the piston into the bore as fas as I can. Then lift the barrel and piston in place and knock the pin through. I failed to mention that I do fit the spring clip into the bottom hole of the piston and use that as a guide to stop hitting the pin in. Once in the top clip is fitted then the barrel pushed down and bolted it in place. I again squirted a generous amount of oil around the bore top and bottom of te piston. Refit the carby and muffler and give it a go.
First pull on full choke a cough, second pull half choke and away it goes. Bugga, still spitting fuel out the carby inlet. Then later today from 2 different forums an answer as to why. At some stage the wrong main jet tube was fittted in this carby. This jet tube when fitted into the right carby has an extra jet possibly low speed jet screwed down and into the extra hole with the thread in it. Mystery solve about that threaded hole. I o have a couple of carbies that are parts carbies so next chance I will change the main jet tube over for the correct style.
I have not forgot about doing a video on how to start a rope start mower with only one foot on the mower or in this case front wheel and not have it jump up at you. It works on all my rope start mowers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, tim, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 6 months ago #226666 by cobbadog
A couple of unimpressive pics of this huge HP, big block, headless Villiers engine. You can see one of the sets of very old feeler gauges sitting on the bench and since 0.007" doesn't get used very often I used it, plus they were the closest set to me at the time. Also you can see the small set of diamond files I bought a long time back off that auction site. When sharpening some knives or dressing the contacts of the points these things when used with water as a lubricant does the job very quickly. I wont buy another points file again after using these.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.608 seconds