Skip to main content

BILLY

More
2 years 6 months ago #226915 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic BILLY
Lang asked 'whats next' and at that stage nothing crazy came to mind apart from travelling. Well yesterday Dee and I 'flat packed' a front load washiung machine that decide to leak more water than it held. Found the reason and discovered that the plastic 2 piece tub around the stainless tub distorted due to the water heater element.
So as we tore this apart I looked at the strange electric motor that drove the tub, a large diameter but flat type of motor. I just had to have a look and finally got inside it to find 27 small coils wired in a series but in odd numbers. Imediately my small brain went into overdrive with what to do with it.
Make a small wind generator or my best thought is to do an experiment in making a magneto charger and run it on 12v as the power supply. The general thoughts on the recharger is that it will not have enough turns of wire to do a proper job. So I will continue to have more thoughties on this and see what becomes of it all. Need a rainy day soon.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226919 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic BILLY
Why don't you get an old concrete mixer and put the motor on to make a new washing machine?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 6 months ago #226944 by cobbadog
We have the old concrete mixer and a spare old engine or 2 but I think Dee might submit a formal complaint and be beyond what we would consider to be a joke. Rear end would be bruised I'm sure.

Two more projects came to mind or rather one was delivered today. An original David Brown work light sent by wee-allis. Thank you so very much for thinking of us when you find these treasures and send them up. Already I have started to strip and clean and access the light. It is in remarkable condition with now 2 small rust holes after I had a poke around, both very much repairable. Will start another annoying thread if anyone is interested. You all know how I can dribble on.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226956 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic BILLY
Yes, Cobbadog I would like to see details of your trials and tribulations with the David Brown worklight. Anything to save Cobbaette putting your favourite overalls in a washing machine made from an old concrete mixer.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 6 months ago #226957 by cobbadog
Back in thew 1970's Ma used to have something like a concrete mixer to wash both Pa and my overies. It was a Lighburn washing machine with the drum from a mixer and on the same angle but coated with plastic or a vinyl then a tiny spin dryer in front of it. Apparently there was no way our filthy overies were ever going into Ma's new washing machine. Oddly enough it never broken down as far as the operation of it all but the metal cabinet was a huge pile of rust with nothing holding things in place. It was then that Ma conceeded and wased the overies in her now couple of year old new machine, but totally seperate from everything else.
Got the heads up on the work light just now that although this came off a DB tractor Guru in the UK says it is not an original DB light. Not that it worries me. I still will fix it up and mount it on David and then go really mad and wire the back end up with all the lights mounted. So will start the thread soon along with pics.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226964 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic BILLY
I wouldn't worry about what the guru from the UK says

He may well be 100% correct for the UK but almost all tractors that arrived from the UK and other parts of the world didnt arrive complete and were finished off in Australia to suit the Australian market

The push for Australian content was high no matter what part of t he world things were imported from

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 5 months ago #226984 by cobbadog
Yes Paul and that is exactly what I told the 'dipstick'. He is one of those people, a retired D.B. field serviceman and nothing is right unless it is 100% original in every way. I have seen his extensive collection and it is something to drool over but everyone has their own way of doing things and how they want it done and how it will look at the end.
I gave him the speel of Australian content and no doubt he will have yet another dummy spit with me and not talk to me for a few months. When he advises something and I agree I say so, If I don't I politely give my view on it and this pisses him off.
The comments made when he saw my D.B. after painting was rude to be nice about it. His biggest problem was that I painted the generator, starter motor and fan blade black and not red as it was originally. I asked him what did he do when he replaced the electrics out in the field and the replacement rebuilt parts were painted black and not red. His reply well thats what they painted them after a rebuild. So I asked how many generators and starter motors on a 65 year tractor are still original and have not been replaced and what colour would they be?
I got the silent treatment for over a month on that. Not that it worries me, I will continue to have my say and not be nasty about it if I have a different view and once I post my comment and they try to negate the comment other users agree with me which really upsets him.

The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 5 months ago #226988 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic BILLY
You could always use the reply I used at Lockington Rally last April when I guy (who obviously knew nothing) asked how I could do that to a Dodge and not make it back to original. I told him it was very original just not very factory!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
2 years 5 months ago #226990 by cobbadog
Similar to the idiot I stood next to at a rally one time in front of my display of a couple of Victa mowers. One was restored faithfully apart from the 2pac paint but it was the right colour but the second one had this guy really miffed. When I built it up I named it the Hybrid and had a glossy white decal made and stuck it on the front of the base of the mower. Reading my notice board explained that it was made up out of a box of parts bought for $25.00. So with a mix of parts those which belonged to a 125cc Victa got sorted out and assembled along with some parts from the shed.
Mr know it all was really going on about how this mower was never a model made by Victa and that it was all wrong. I just let the goose go on until he finally finished. I asked him if he had read the notice board and no was the reply. So I tried to explain to him what the exercise was about and how it saved 1 more Victa from going over seas to China as scrap. He still did not understand.
So in the end I told him straight that I specifically built this mower to upset dickheads like him. The penny dropped and off he went.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo

More
2 years 5 months ago #227031 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic BILLY
For years I had in the restoration queue a 1945 New Record Dragsaw powered by a 1936 Bamford which was fitted to the dragsaw when new. However the experts were adamant it was the wrong engine and that New Record only fitted Roseberry engines. My wife's mother and Uncle gave the same history so I know who I would rather believe.

The history is this in 1936 Helen's Grandfather purchased a 2hp Bamford engine for use on the family farm from Gippsland and Northern in Dumbalk Victoria. It was mounted on skids and used mainly in the dairy but dragged by horse to the dam when water needed to be pumped then back to the dairy for the next milking.

In 1946 he wanted a drag saw but due to war shortages there was a shortage of engines. So Gippsland and Northern loaned him an other engine while the Bamford was railed to Sydney where it was overhauled and came back gleaming mounted to a new dragsaw. The loan engine was returned and the Bamford was still used to run the dairy and pump water as well as the dragsaw all while bolted to the frame. It was still used for cutting timber when power came through

It was eventually retired and left in the shed while Helen's Mum and Uncle were running the property after theitr parent's died. Helen's Mum met a man from Camperdown Victoria, married him and moved there. Helen's uncle took on some share farmers to assist and the share farmers wanted to use the shed for other things so the dragsaw was moved outside where the share farmer's kids took bits off and lost them. It was siezed and in a very sorry state when I got it and despite trying all sorts of things to free it I never succeeded. It was sold off to the people who ran the wood turners at the Port of Echuca who were going to display it there but they and the original blacksmiths moved out when the council made the rents greater than their takings. They still have it in their new setup

So with all that known history would you believe the family or the experts?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds