Skip to main content

Never heard of this. Old engine blokes any clues.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225264 by JOHN.K.
Some of the later engines,called JK and JS didnt have the changeover ,and just had a plug in the head where the valve goes.....they have a single swirl chamber ,and run higher compression all the time.........incidentally ,a little known fact is the JP engine was designed by Ruston and Hornsby ,and early ones were made by Rustons as well as Listers........J P is supposed to stand for "Joint Production"......they were all made by Listers post WW2.............The big Gardners run smoother and quieter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225265 by Mrsmackpaul
Metex were or possibly still are a copy of the Listers described and just have plug in the head as John described and run on high compression all the time

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225267 by Lang
If anyone wants it here is the marketplace title.

Lister diesel motor
A$600
Listed 2 days ago in Lismore, NSW
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225271 by hayseed
Lismore,,HHMMm ...I reckon Cobba's just Kicked Lorry in the Guts & they're on their way to Collect It..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #225276 by cobbadog
Thats a terrible thing to do to Lorry, he is a good boy, at the moment even ordered in some oil and filters for him today. Attached are a couple of pics of Ray the engine named after my Dad. In one pic you can see the valve in the middle of the engine below and left of the green fuel tank. There is an adjusting screw there. In the other pic you can clearly see the lever that changes the compression ration. It has 3 positions, low, none and high compression. Once you get those twin flywheels rotating one more good swing and Ray bursts into life. The rough looking transporter is something I made up and found a set of spoke steel wheels to sit it all on.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225284 by 180wannabe
To "kick in the guts" means to start, fire up, commence. Hayseed meant you had most likely started your truck and were already on your way to pick up the Lister.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #225288 by JOHN.K.
Anyone from Qld goes to get it ,might as well take a tent.....cause Pal-O' Shay wont let you back into Queensland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
2 years 7 months ago #225298 by cobbadog
Yes 180, I was aware of that. Unfortunatly Lorry will be in hospital over the weekend having a service and looking for a sqeak in the fan belt drive area. Hopefully just a belt but may have a bad bearing there somewhere. Noise started last weekend when we took Lorry for a run to Taree and back.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225299 by JOHN.K.
If you have dual belts ,I turn one back to front and the squeak generally stops .......You can also turn both around,but the squeak is back in a thousand ks......but check the bearings too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225303 by cobbadog
I'm thinking of replacing them as they have been there a long time now. Keep the old ones as back up.
I do know that doing the engine oil filter is a mongrel job as it is under spring tension and tricky to get at.

Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by cobbadog.

Time to create page: 0.599 seconds