Skip to main content

Never heard of this. Old engine blokes any clues.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225306 by 600Dodge
A little dab of barrier cream is your friend when it comes to squeaky belts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225409 by Sarge
Barrier cream is a bit rare these days, bar of soap, just rub it on the belt, squeak gone.

Cobba, how much jiggle does that transport do with the engine running, I have got a small lister petrol on a cart like that, old binder wheels, it jiggle rattles and clanks while running until I jam a block of wood under the chassis.

My big 3bp diesel, wanders around the shed consuming slow children and stray sheep, it sits on 2 lengths of sleepers, like snow shoes....screw in head....... I assumed the down force of the stroke would make yours jump.
EMNTK.....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #225412 by 600Dodge
The trouble with soap is it takes away the noise but encourages the belt to slip by lubricating it whereas barrier cream conditions the belt and helps it grip. I didn't know barrier cream was rare, its still on the wall next to every handwashing facility at every workshop and minesite I go to.
I have found, especially with old gear, that people chase a squealing belt but never look at the pulleys some of which are simply worn out and dont let the belt seat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #225419 by Inter-Action
Why is the belt squealing is the first question to ask. Dave.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225421 by Morris
You can, or could, get proper Belt Dressing in a spray can . I gave an old can of it to a mate to use on his elderly valve facing machine. It worked well.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 7 months ago #225424 by 600Dodge
That old belt dressing was good in the way it conditioned the belt, this new stuff seems to soften the belt and cause deterioration.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225426 by cobbadog
Lorry got his oil and filter change on Friday arvo. Also inspected the belts and put a bit more tension on them both but next time when I'm in town and I remember I will buy a new pair and keeps these as spares.
Then I really went mad on Saturday and gave him a bath. While the cab was tilted and was walking around the front I looked up and found his roof was like a garden with all this moss growing up there. So out with some bleach and let that eat into it while I set up the gurney. The left hand side is as good as it got and the right hand side is what I was treating. When was the last time you looked at your roof to what was going on up there?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225460 by JOHN.K.
You got the very careful the pulley grooves arent wearing unevenly .....once this happens ,only cure is new ,or true up the grooves on a lathe ........incidentally ,if you have A/C ,belt squeal may be excessive high side pressure in the system,due to air leakage.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225463 by cobbadog
Unfortunately Lorry has no a/c unit. Looked at bolting up an after market model but lost interest once the hot weather went away and now for the last couple of years no Rallies to go and play at. If a bloke was smart he would still buy the unit and start bolting it up.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225481 by Mrsmackpaul
Gotta get a matched pair of belts, most spare parts people, even in bearing supply places dont understand what this is and the correct way to tell

Most belts have a series of numbers that arent the actual belt size, so they wont start with an A, B or C
They might be five numbers in small print, closer these numbers are the closer the match, this as far as I know applies to all belt brands

As I said most people in spare parts places dont know this, a older and wiser gentlemen taught me this and when those numbers are real close the belts run as smooth as silk

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds