Skip to main content

Grey Fergy

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226791 by Lang
Grey Fergy was created by Lang
Access to my shed relies upon the good will of my neighbour (to save me removing a 26,000litre water tank and pulling down the garage beside the house). I bought him a good but old FIAT 85hp tractor and slasher and between me and his father we kept the whole 10 acre block looking beaut.

Unfortunately dad is a mechanical moron and came to me a few months back saying the clutch had gone in the FIAT. Turns out he thought you could use the clutch pedal as a footrest while bouncing along slashing. Worst was he said he felt it slip occasionally but thought he would finish the job but when he could not see through the smoke coming from the clutch stopped with not enough grip to get him back to the house.

Long story short, a perfectly good FIAT now has grass growing up around it because the owner has "not got around to it". I found a wonderfully original 1955 TEA20 with a slasher to hold up my end of the bargain. It starts first kick and runs like a dream with excellent tyres. Oh how painful with a 4ft slasher in second gear compared with the FIAT 6 foot slasher in third gear.

Anybody in the SE Qld area want to swap something with a bit more horsepower for an original Fergy? Looks like it has always been shedded and still has original paint. Rust is only surface. Everything is tight and works.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226799 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Grey Fergy
You'll miss the live pto on the Fiat especially when you push the clutch in the slasher keeps you moving right along

If the slasher doesn't have it you will want a over run clutch on the pto

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #226800 by Roger W
Replied by Roger W on topic Grey Fergy

If the slasher doesn't have it you will want a over run clutch on the pto

A competent truck driver ought to have good enough timing to knock the fergy out of gear while pushing on the clutch pedal to let the slasher slow down. I used to have to do that baling hay. But yes, an overrunning clutch is a better option .

Roger

More
2 years 5 months ago #226801 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Grey Fergy
No problems Paul, it came with an over-run PTO attachment on the slasher. I have had some exciting moments like everyone with Fergies and slashers without them.

Back a few years ago I had another grey Fergy on this job but forgot how gutless they are. Collectible, cute, simple and historic don't cut it if you actually want to do something, Easy transport on a tandem trailer to a show, mowing a 5 acre house block or with a post hole digger they are perfect.

Lang

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226802 by Lang
Roger

Anything longer than 10 seconds is called pre-planning.

Unfortunately the excitement usually begins when you misjudge a turn and you need to have an unplanned stop in two nanoseconds before you take out the tennis court fence or dive into the dam.

Just remember the sad occasion when I saw a nesting plover disappearing between the front wheels and leapt upon the brakes. It was a quick death, I am sure she did not suffer.

Lang

More
2 years 5 months ago #226813 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Grey Fergy
At first I thought it was an Innisfail delivered Fergy but that is the wrong colour blue for that.
Isn't it still viable to buy and fit a clutch to the Fiat and get it up and running again. Should only be a day job plus parts.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226819 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Grey Fergy

Isn't it still viable to buy and fit a clutch to the Fiat and get it up and running again. Should only be a day job plus parts.
That's what I thought too.
www.bareco.com.au/files-fiat-fiat42

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
2 years 5 months ago #226820 by Lang
Yes the FIAT is not a big fix. I have two floor jacks to split it but the deal was I buy it and he maintains it. Also if it is fixed his dad will be back on it and stuff it again.

If the tractor is mine alone I have control and totally "doing him a favour". Might be a half day a month work but at least he appreciates the place looking tidy and I have absolutely no problems with access. He came over with a jerrycan of fuel last week when I was christening the Fergy as he always did with the FIAT.

Politics!

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226822 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Grey Fergy
Looks like the Cattle are doing a good job of keeping the Grass Short & Sweet...

I second fixing the Fix It Again Tony...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by hayseed.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226824 by Lang
Hayseed

Yes they are but his missus hates the thousands of cow pats all over the place. It looks like a groomed park after mowing without the cattle. The cattle belong to the next door neighbour who was happy to let his lawn mowers into a bit of extra feed while the tractor situation was resolved. My missus hates them too after they broke our fence and ate every bloody thing in our garden included a huge passionfruit vine, two nearly ripe banana trees and trampled her cactus garden to pulp leaving shit all over the back yard to compound the problem.

Time to create page: 0.712 seconds