Skip to main content

Smart Slasher

More
2 years 6 months ago #226893 by Lang
Smart Slasher was created by Lang
How smart and simple. Easy to put a deck on if you were that fussy.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226894 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Smart Slasher
Hi,

there was similar set up under the back of a Moke in Darwin in the 90's, they put a diff in the back end and attached the blades however the ratio, driven by the wheels, meant it was spinning too quick causing the blades come off at high speed. The owner wouldn't drive it after a few close calls but his mates would when they where drunk enough. When I saw it there were a couple of gashes where the blades had gone through the side box on the Moke.

Unless you have some sort of free wheeling arrangement on the blades they only spin as quick as you are travelling.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226906 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Smart Slasher
Back in about '71-2 a mate had a private airstrip near Macksville up the coast. he made a similar slasher to tow behind his old Jeep to keep the weeds down on the runway. A HR diff fitted with lengths of chain instead of blades, a couple of tailshafts as an A frame and a 60 ltr drum with water mounted on top to ensure traction at the wheels. Worked a treat.

He also made a wind driven electric fence to keep the wallabys out. A 12 cylinder magneto driven by a fan made similar to that on a Mini but made out of the bottom of a 44 gallon drum. That too worked well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226911 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Smart Slasher
Was that pivate air strip just north of Macksville on the banks of the River? If it is, it is still there and kept in working order. I named it Macksville International Airport. Even too a picture of it from the shitty motel we were staying in about 12 months ago.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by cobbadog.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226918 by wee-allis
No Cobba, the one I was on about is on the South side of the river, east of Macksville in a locality known as Gumma. The one you saw is just south of Nambucca Heads, on the north side of the river.

For what it's worth, that motel you speak of was built in the late 60s from bricks bought there from a demolished hospital or children's home in Newcastle, by an ex Olympian swimmer. He had to clean all the bricks by hand. I drove a loader building the causeway from the highway to the site.
At one time he owned 2 Mercury Cougars and drove them, as they say, like he stole them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
2 years 6 months ago #226943 by cobbadog
I have to tell you that the current owners have kept that 'demolition' look going now. It is a shocker inside and wont be visiting it again. We stayed there for convenience last year when Dee had her 1st cataract done at the new Macksville hospital. Next month we are back for her 2nd eye to be done and we are taking our caravan this time, that way we know what we will be sleeping in and not a dogs breakfast of a building. Believe or not the hot water when need took at least 5 minutes to run across the car park from another building before it even got to the unit we were in. A real hot water saving device that was. In Winter you probably could see the ground thaw out where the pipe runs.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226959 by wee-allis
I had the misfortune of staying one night there last year, sharing a room with a 2 up driver mate on a trip to QLD. You are right about the hot water. I was unlucky enough to have the first shower and it was bloody cold. I get out complaining and mate steps in just as the hot stuff arrived. Bastard!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 6 months ago #226982 by cobbadog
The woman who runs it is a real piece of work. has nasty bitch written all over it along with shifty.

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds