Skip to main content

One for Cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226909 by Lang
One for Cobbadog was created by Lang
Can just see the 3 year old's legs going through the sound barrier on the pedals. Suppose that is why they left the open spark plug - like hitting a race horse with a battery whip.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #226913 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic One for Cobbadog
Many good points on that little buggy. As already pointed out with the HT lead and plug in a painful position and the lack of a heat shield and no free wheeling hub on the pedl will make this one hell of a ride.
At the ripe old age of 12 my Dad built me a mini bike from a pump up scooter frame. With high rise handlebars and the original engine plant being a Villiers was initially fitted and used a primary and secondary chain set up back to the rear wheel using a push bike rear hub with a small and large fixed sprockets. I thought I was doing the right thing and removed the bolt on cooling fins from the flywheel. My early engineering skills were very poor as I never gave the short studs that held the fins to the flywheel a seong thought. First run around the block and I came back with a rather large hole on the inside of my left knee allowing me to see the fatty tissue and bone. 14 stitches later and another engine due to lack of power guided me to my first Victa 125cc Model 1 power plant. It drove the mini bike for a year and a half around the streets of the Western suburbs of Sydney until I scored a proper motor bike.
The sad thing is I have no photos of it but a heap of good memories. Funniest thing was when Mr Policeman caught up with me and cut in front of me to stop me. Well he is forgiven for not noticing the lack of any form of braking ability as this was all about going not stopping. After a crash into the gutter and a long talk on the side of the road with him scratching around the oily engine looking for an engine number and stufing his pen, both Dad and I received an invitation to attend a road safety ting at Parramatta court house. As we left there that night Pa said to me as we walked out the door and an old Seargeant was listeng, Pa thanked me for getting the invitation to an entertaining night out. The mini bike was kept in used for a long time even after the run in and then it started all over again with various motor bikes but these had brakes.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #226937 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic One for Cobbadog
Never had a minibike...probably on account of someone fell off a 500 BSA and decided to simply leave the bike propped up against a tree........bent forks wernt a problem to junior mechanics,and was got back into working order.,with the handle bars made from some water pipe bent to suit the bent forks .....And could it go .......there was a long hill further out,and we used to hit peak revs at the bottom where a dip would bottom out the plunger suspension with a clang......cops knew we had the bike,they didnt want to know about it....
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #226945 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic One for Cobbadog
We paddock bashed a 1048 500cc BSA at one stage. Non of us were big or heavy enough to kick start it so it was always a tow around with a car then drop the clutch. It had a lawn mower control for the throttle and was a hairy big bugga to run around in the old clay pit at Kemps Creek.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds