Skip to main content

D.B. Work Light

More
2 years 5 months ago #226989 by cobbadog
D.B. Work Light was created by cobbadog
wee-allis kindly sent this D.B. work light up for me to fit to our 30C Cropmaster. It is in remarkable condition and apart from a comment from the D.B. forum about not being an original D.B. light I have already stated that it may well have been fitted by the Dealer out here to help with the Australian content or as an accessory for the Farmer if it wasn't a standard fitment.
I have found it to be made by Autopal which after a very short search found they still sell them in the USA not sure about out here any more. The light has a stuck switch at the moment and good old Lanox is soaking into it and time will tell how it goes. The light body had an obvious small hole in it and after a bit of scratching about I made another one to match it. The problem that caused the rust is how the handle is riveted to the body and water simply sits around the hole under the handle. I am thinking whether to weld it up or similar and use a patch and solder it in place. The metal in the body is very thin. It runs a quartz halogen bulb at the moment and that idea will stay. There is a small amount of rust on the reflector section and this will stay but may use a filler on those holes and the glass will need a good cleaning up. In general this light is in great shape and once repaired will get a coat of 2pac paint so while I have some mixed up I can do some 'touch ups' on David while I am at it.
Back with the light, the small "W" shaped clips that hold the lense and reflector in place, what are they called? I have seen them for sale somewhere and I want one or two new ones, maybe all of them just to make a better job of it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226991 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic D.B. Work Light
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLooks like the Indians own the name now

www.papbury.com/index.php?main_page=prod...o&products_id=949828

www.parlakoto.com/en/autopal-hl154-trakt...anjurlu-turuncu.html

www.mshipusnow.com/index.php?main_page=p...o&products_id=586474

A similar type of light but different mounting design by Dietz
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #226992 by Lang
From what I can find out it seems Autopal was a trade name of Auto-Lite in USA but not a major player, Here is an Auto-lite product promotion video from the early 30's. Auto-lite was famous for its huge workers strike in 1934 and the National Guard firing into the picket lines. Might be a good fix for CFMEU problems

After going through owners Bendix, Ford and Honeywell it was sold to the FRAM subsidiary which is New Zealand owned. FRAM/Auto-lite are still big players in the Spark Plug etc world. Note the hyphen in the Auto-Lite name.

Both Autolite (no hyphen) and Autopal are Indian trade names now and have been for 50 years. Unfortunately because of the name and particularly the logo design I am pretty convinced you have an Indian made light.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 5 months ago #226993 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic D.B. Work Light
This is what mine looks like. I think it is original.Definitively different but could be because different production or a cheaper unit.

You can't have too many toys!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227002 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic D.B. Work Light
Those Lights were as common as................belly buttons.
back in the Day..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 5 months ago #227010 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic D.B. Work Light
It looks right too oliver1950. I had a look on the david brown spare parts list and they had 2 different plough lights as they call them. One has the switch on the body of the light and the other type had the switch in the mudguard which seems a sily place to put a switch. That lense loks the roght one and it should be knowing the history of your tractor and how very original it is.
Im not concerned with my light whether it is or isn't to me it will look right painted up and powered up as well especially when I hook up the brake tail lights at the same time.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227015 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic D.B. Work Light
I agree with you Cobba. Paint it up and put it on the tractor, who cares if it isn't original.We are saving these old tractors from being sent to China and coming back as some Chinese crap .

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227018 by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationGenuine/Copy David Brown Light?

Sorry that link looks like headlights. Try this:

Attachments:

More
2 years 5 months ago #227024 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic D.B. Work Light
Just stick it on as a period modification, Cobba. Cockies and sod busters were never known for their loyalty to OEM, or adherence to spec..

More
2 years 5 months ago #227032 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic D.B. Work Light
Thanks for the replies again. I will be progressing with this one for a number of reason, it was very kindly donated to me to be used not scrapped, the glass lense is more period correct than the replica ones for sale now online through the DB spares supplier and I do enjoy the challenge of resurrecting these things and testing my ability or lack there of.
Today I stripped it right down. Still playing with the switch and looks like I need to take it apart to make it work, or else! I took the glass lense out of the reflector and it is nice and shiney clean and the reflector does have a bit of the chrome missing but I am not concerned. All I did there was used a liquid wax to clean what is left of the chrome and filled the hols with good old U-Need -It. Because of the thinnest of the steel in the body I will make an attempt to solder the hole up otherwise it will get the U-Need-It treatment as well.
I then bead blasted the parts and already some parts are in primer but the main body of the light, not mine, is decision time as to what way to repair. Pictures tomorrow of what I have done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds