An interesting old tractor for sale.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227940 by Lang
Pretty flash V4 set-up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227943 by oliver1950
The V4 Turner motors were an alternative to the V8 flat top Ford motor also used in the Lloyd Dragon.They were converted from Bren gun carriers.I hope to make one good Lloyd Dragon from the two I own.

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227952 by Mrsmackpaul
Once upon a time I would of jumped at something like that, these days I seem to realize I have plenty to keep me going till I drop off the perch

Would be a great start for someone or cheap spares for someone that has one already

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 5 months ago #227956 by mammoth
I think those engines were originally designed for marine use and what with general shortages at the time got used by a tractor manufacturer etc. Unique and workman like, yes, but never seen anyone overly excited by them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227961 by Muttlee
Where is this for sale Lang ?
Thanks

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227965 by Muttlee
Intereesting but sad story....

When l was a kid in the UK, my Dad had a 54 Turner Yeoman. Was used by local coal merchant to make deliveries to local houses. My Dad bought it for 50GBP and it sat for years in our shed. It would come out from time to time, was always a pig to start and the clutch plate would stick to the flywheel.
By the time my legs could reach the pedals l was itching to get a steer of the big girl. They have a great sound.
By time l was in my teens, we were taking it to a few rallies in UK.
In UK, everything got its coolant drained for winter hibernation. I was enthusiastic and did the job, draining down the rad. Confirmed to Dad that it was done.
Months later and the time came to dust her down, OMG... Both heads were split! Not just a little crack, the frost had caused the whole side to push out. Dad wasn't pleased but l was even less happy, he had promised the old girl to me as a kid and l hadn't taken the right care of her.
She got parked to the back of the shed and was forgotten. They aren't popular in UK and spares are rare.
Many years later he had pulled the heads off and had them professionally repaired. He never got them put together though and the tractor that had huge sentimental value to me was sold (almost given away... :( )to a local fella that kept pestering Dad. I've no idea where she is now, 30yrs have passed since and we left there nearly 20yr ago....
One day !

The engine was used in marine applications. It was launched in about 1952 and was a very expensive tractor with only about 45hp. A field Marshall was a much cheaper machine l believe with similar hp.
The Turner suffered a very weak backend, very few that were worked hard survived and the introduction to the market of better hp competitors for less money saw its demise.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Muttlee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227967 by Lang
Everything is on the Marketplace ad. For some stupid reason Marketplace will only give you a maximum 500km from the nominated place and does not have an "Australia" function like Gumtree.'

If you put in Brisbane as your start point and distance 500km you will find it if you just type in the title from the above screenshot. It is at Cordalba in the Childers/Bundaberg area.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227972 by oliver1950

I think those engines were originally designed for marine use and what with general shortages at the time got used by a tractor manufacturer etc. Unique and workman like, yes, but never seen anyone overly excited by them.
You are right they were built for marine use. The Turner tractor engine has a removable sump, my 2 from the Lloyd Dragon are marine type with no sump, they were made that way as an engine with sump would not have fitted.

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227975 by JOHN.K.
Ive seen a few of the Turner tractors......owners always said ...they were never any good.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227982 by Muttlee
I had to dig out some old pics and reminisce….

Little bloke walking behind plough is yours truly. Prob about 8yrs old, then driving in the show ring about 16yr old.

I dont have any other pics of the Turner sadly.

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, wouldyou, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds