Skip to main content

The Southern Cross Story

More
2 years 5 months ago #228296 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic The Southern Cross Story
The Southern Cross Museum at Highfields which was mentioned earlier has an astounding array of the products the SC built. Mowers, pumps,engines of all sorts and sizes, air compressors, windmills planes trains but not automobile. Many years ago when we spent the day there and took many pictures of the assortment of products they had on display in the shed alone.
Yes Rusty Engines does hold the register for SC and has an enormous amount of info on them. He is based in Townesville and a very helpful bloke. He is still popping in and out of the Engine Forums.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #228301 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic The Southern Cross Story
Lang I cannot believe that meat bombees (is that the term for the jumpers?, could be so inconsiderate and such vandals. Maybe you should report them to their club and tell them that if they do it again you will push them out without their parachute!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 5 months ago #228303 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic The Southern Cross Story
No mate they are just different. Not too many clubs have activities where dying is more than a possible outcome. I can only think of a few such as serious motor racing, rock-climbing and cave-diving. The pilot can refuse to take anyone so they know being yelled at by the driver could mean the end of their weekend jump program. Not unknown for the pilot, if he actually owns the aircraft, to hop in and leave. More likely because people have endangered the aircraft by interfering with the controls from the outside or loading up outside the fuselage in a pack so they can drop together using radio aerials and fuel filler caps as hand-holds. Well run organisations police safety and they will ban jumpers with a record of disregard.

They play pretty hard - the girls harder than the blokes, I will say no more.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #228319 by Lang
Here is the 115 page Southern Cross Catalogue for 1950' I notice there is a 1935 edition on Ebay for $260.

nla.gov.au/nla.obj-52814913/view?partId=...228#page/n0/mode/1up

Here are the first four pages:

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #228321 by Lang

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds