Skip to main content

Denning Leyland coach

More
2 years 4 months ago #228766 by Waldo52
I'm looking at buying a 1986 Denning coach with a Leyland TLII engine mid mounted and want to know how reliable the Leyland engine are plus what horsepower & torque. It also has a 6 speed box which they are saying is a auto but has a gearstick so I'm assuming a preselect type. Thanks in advance for any input that you have

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228767 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Denning Leyland coach
The TL11 is the old 680 MkII Powerplus ...which was really good engine ,in its day.......the tranny would be more likely to be problematic ....its likely a ZF of some kind.........When I was working for "Belshams Deathtraps",there was another coach used to co operate with them for big charters......had a mid mount 680 .....forgotten the company,but I think it was an owner driver bus
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Waldo52

More
2 years 4 months ago #228770 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Denning Leyland coach
Waaldo, in the last half of the 80's into the 90's I ran the workshop for a bus company with a fleet of Leyland Tiger TL11 buses with the Hydromatic transmission. Fantastic trouble free engine on both route and charter work. These from memory were only 5 speed and changed by a short stick with a definite "H" pattern cast into the mounting. The one you are looking at, as John said, possibly a ZF auto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #228772 by Waldo52
Replied by Waldo52 on topic Denning Leyland coach
Thanks for the info & I have since spoken to the owner & he said he got the gearbox wrong it is a synchro 6 speed not an auto. Do you know what sort of horsepower they had

More
2 years 4 months ago #228773 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Denning Leyland coach
The TL11 put out 260hp from what the cobwebs tell me.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228774 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Denning Leyland coach
I think the one I saw had a 6speed Spicer twin countershaft .....which was a common box in the later Dennings.

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds