Skip to main content

Triang Trains

More
2 years 3 months ago #228970 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Triang Trains
Went to a mates place onight as he is doing a massive upgrade of his layout and has gone from DC, same power source as mine to this DCC. It allows him to have sounds and everything else that a loco makes and so on. Sitting on the table was a brand new loco with 2 carriages, $1k thank you very much complete with all the bells and whistles. After I got up off the floor I asked does the driver come wih it too at that price. It is way above what I want but he issssss happy as can be with his upgrade progress. Probably has about a mo nth to go to have it running then he has to do the scenery.
Morris for some reason they still list HO/OO asthe same thing so that can be confusing. You mentioned the early trains by Hornby Dublo, I saw one tonight as you described. It was a loco made to be 4-8-2 and had the positive pick up bar along the middle of the train and was around 2" long with a cup shape at each end to contact the middle rail. It weighed a ton as it was full metal and heavy die cast parts everywhere.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #228976 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Triang Trains
In me kid days a m8 had italian train set Rivarossi so I had to have one 2
in the 50's we tansported a few house sections & coolstores for a builder cum house remover
Eye steer a way from transporting timber buildings
what happens a old timber building nailed to gether will last 100 years sitting in one place
but when U load and cart m the rusty ol nails give way and can colapse the structure
A steel framed building proffesionally made B OK ... most times

EVERY CARE TAKEN BUT NO RESPONSIBILITY

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #228978 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Triang Trains
When I was a kid, my elder brother, (the golden child), had a Hornby wind up train set which I was forbidden to ever touch.

Fast forward to 6th September,1975, my wife gave birth to twin sons. Just after midnight, which was now Fathers Day, I was driving home from the hospital down Oxford Street when it hit me. Now I can get a train set. Santa was good that year and I still have it, although stored in the shed at the moment, waiting for our grandsons to age enough to appreciate it.

It is a simple HO scale oval loop with a siding, an engine, a couple of freight cars and a container terminal, complete with gantry to lift the containers off the rail car and place them on a semi. This topic has got me inspired to dig it out and check what brand it is and perhaps go back into my childhood.

More
2 years 3 months ago #228984 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Triang Trains
Dunno if anyone noticed,a couple of weeks ago on fbook m/place there was a live steam loco ,3 1/2 ga ,for $4000,and a 90% complete Big Boy for $10,000 ......the thing was supposedly 10ft long.............yeah ,Im supposed to be looking for a forklift,but its easy to get sidetracked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #228989 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Triang Trains
Yes, it got me started, so down the shed and I find the set. As I unpacked it, I remember that I once bought a 8' x 4' layout with a good number of rolling stock. I later sold the layout when my kids outgrew it, but I apparently kept some bits.

The attached photo shows:
Front row - all Tyco
4-6-0 and tenders are Hornby Triang
Back row is all Lima Italy..
Notice the magnifying glass used to read brand s on some bits. Old age is a bitch sometimes.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 3 months ago #228992 by cobbadog
Swishy, the main section of our very old house was moved here from a farm using a bullock train in the mid to late 60's. There would no way the nails could rust in this hardwood frame as nothing can penetrate it. I tried pre drilling, razor sharp chisel to make alterations and came out 2nd best. It has taught me to be very tolerant to things NOT being square and plumb.
Wee-Allis what a beautiful display of engines and carriages. When you mentioned a gantry crane it reminded me of the gantry crane we saw at Coonabarbran station along with a water tower and water pump all of we found exact models of in the hobby shop at Newcastle but they would not fit anywhere on this layout so they still live in the shop. That old style passenger carriages are the type I am looking for to put behind the Jinty.
So today I started painting some new bits and pieces for the layout. I also want to build a shed for the tractor and wanted some corrugated iron for the roof and maybe two walls. I found some online but in the USA with a very rude price to buy and post. So Dee reminded me that she was messing around one time and simply peeled back some paper on some card board so this is what I found. It is a little bit big but they did make a commercial size corrugated iron twice the size of the standard 2" stuff so this might work.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #228993 by cobbadog
After Lang went to so much trouble to find and post a teapot of a RED tractor I did have to buy it for Dee to match the salt n pepper pots. Here they are together.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 3 months ago #229010 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Triang Trains
Cobba, check this bloke's channel out.

He's a class or two above the likes of us, but he's got some great ideas. In on of his videos, he shows how to make corro out of Alfoil.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229016 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Triang Trains
Cobbadog My Wife and I both love Cobbarette's teapot and salt 'n' peppers. My Wife collects turtles but the only turtle teapot we have seen was outside our price range.

As I read your post, I was about to tell you about corrugated cardboard but Dee has beaten me to it.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago #229044 by cobbadog
Now that diarama is way beyond my ability but it sure is nice and has helped with some simple ideas to try.

The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds