Skip to main content

Triang Trains

More
2 years 3 months ago #230981 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Triang Trains
I must be a Dumb Bugger.... I can't see how it would make any difference.
The Door will weigh exactly the same Regardless of which direction the Brace Goes.. & the weight hanging off the Hinges will be the same Too..

And to get really technical Wood's tensile Strength is Higher than It's Compression Strength..

Anyway , Enough from Me.. :sick:

Cobbadog.. You're Doing (as Always) Excellent Work..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230991 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Triang Trains
Hayseed you are 100% correct, go straight to the head of the class

If we farmer type of people on here can cast our mind way way back to the dim dark days when wood was used for more than keeping us warm we will remember plenty of old cattle yards were the brace went way up high past the top rail up to the top of the post were the big bit of wood went across the gate way

The big bit of wood had a hole in it and that formed the top of the hinge, the bottom hinge pin was a post cut off at almost ground level with the center hollowed out
The higher the stay went the more stable and better supported the gate was

So the big bit of wood across the gate way was a few feet at least higher than a joker on horse back encase the ever unpredictable horse had a brain fart

All this worked well and required bugger all stuff be purchased and carted there for yard building

So it doesn't matter if the stay goes from the bottom of the hinge up or the top of the hinge down, what matters is its there

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 3 months ago #230994 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Triang Trains
As Hayseed and Paul say "mechanically" there is absolutely no difference, it is the longevity of the material that is being catered for in design.

Unless the gate is constructed of material that never (well for a lifetime anyhow) loses its integrity such as steel, discounting wear and damage that applies to any material, the bottom hinge resting point is necessary for long life.

No matter how well you build a wooden door or gate, without that brace it WILL sag eventually due to natural wood shrinkage and distortion, rot and corrosion of nails themselves or the wood around them. The holes made by the nails/bolts enlarge over time under constant weight and movement.

Without the bottom hinge rest direction brace it WILL sag many years before a "properly" braced door will. If you draw two pictures of the door with everything removed except the three main bits of the triangle you can clearly see a vector diagram with the "proper" method transferring weight onto the fixed bottom hinge and the "not proper" method transferring the weight to the outside swinging corner. This only happens if the triangle tries to move as it WILL with wood.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231000 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Triang Trains
Here is a video of the train doing laps while I work out the sizes and shapes of the rail crossing before painting and fitting. Yep everything is a mess there at the moment. There is a bag of 'little people' sitting in the paddock waiting for a place to stand or sit. The paddocks will get some attention soon enough but it is almost therapeutic listening to the train running around again.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
2 years 3 months ago #231003 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Triang Trains
Even sounds like a real train!

More
2 years 3 months ago #231010 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Triang Trains
Yes, it gets the sound of the wheels running over the joints in the track and gives off that sound like a real one. If I ran that white carriage sitting on the side line near the homestead it sounds more like our NSW rail stock with a wonky wheel. When I pulled it out of the box after over 50 years and tried it on the track there was a problem. Apparently some weight from other parts in the box had bent the wheel over to 45'. I though, well let's not go there, but then how to fix it. I can buy new bogies and wheels but being cheap I wanted to fix it. In the end I used a hot air gun and warmed the wheel and simply pushed it back to being at 90' to the axle. Got it right first attempt too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, V8Ian, Zuffen, PDU

More
2 years 3 months ago #231073 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Triang Trains
Cobba,

There's nothing more satisfying than fixing it yourself.

Regardless of cost.

You can now look at it and think (or say) I did that.

I'm enjoying a rerun of my Childhood through your efforts.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231074 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Triang Trains
I've owned Tri-ang equipment since 1959. It was the affordable brand. I've had no time to join this thread hitherto, but have a token post.
This is a ~1958 catalog.

Roderick
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Zuffen

More
2 years 3 months ago #231113 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Triang Trains
6 pence was a chunk of money to a kid in 1958!

That would have been 2 coke bottle returns at the Grocery store.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231125 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Triang Trains
Nah, as a nine year old I would have opted for six penneth of chips.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds