Skip to main content

Triang Trains

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231145 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Triang Trains

6 pence was a chunk of money to a kid in 1958!

That would have been 2 coke bottle returns at the Grocery store.
Or 1 milk bottle at the milk bar, or 6 beer bottles. I know these things because they were my only income as a kid. So much so, that if something big was coming up, like the local show, were not unknown to sneak into the milk depot, snitch a couple of bottles and cash them in at the shop. And to think I grew up to become a Cop in later life. "I'm sorry world."
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231146 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Triang Trains
Well, we used to jump the fence into the back yard of the shop. grab a couple of empty bottles and then go around the front to sell him his own bottles back. Like Wee-Allis I somehow escaped a free stay in the local holding cells.

PDU of course you would have chosen a 6 penneth of chips in UK because you got half a pint of dripping fat bonus that Australian chip eaters missed out on.

Lang

More
2 years 2 months ago #231176 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Triang Trains
:lol:

Plus you could read the newspaper they were wrapped in as you ate them.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231194 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Triang Trains
Six of us took my Mother-In-Law out to lunch on Sunday for her 90th birthday. Her husbamd did not come as he wanted to go target shooting! Talk went to the "Old Days" and selling newspapers for threepence a pound to the fish and Chip shop came up. I said where I grew up the shops would take the newsapapers for free but nobody thought of charging.

Anyway, Mother-In-Law said that she and her brothers collected newspapers from friends and took them to the shop. One day, the kids found a used condom among the papers. Thank goodness I was not the lucky shopper.
I never had enough money to buy fish and chips. I used to collect beer bottles and sell them for a shilling a dozen to buy cigarettes. Brocky45, that is ten cents for a dozen empties.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #231224 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Triang Trains
Like Lang and Wee-Allis we would jump the fence and acquire some bottles.

We were smart/cunning enough to go to another shop to cash them in.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231235 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Triang Trains
I remember cashing in beer bottles......used to think the kids who had alcoholic fathers were lucky,because there was always a ready supply of bottles.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231246 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Triang Trains
My Dad did not drink and I was too much of a Goody-Goody to even think of stealing bottles. When I got to the age of 15 or 16 or what ever it was, I was allowed to smoke, so that took all the challenge out of it. I have never smoked since!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 2 months ago #231248 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Triang Trains
I had a catalogue similar to the one Roderick put up & left it lying around so mum & dad would see it.
They never took the hint, I knew deep down they couldn't afford it.
I dreuled over it daily, so very envious cobbadog
Great work cobbadog, looking forward to future updates.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
2 years 1 month ago #232690 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Triang Trains
OOPS, I did it again. My eldest sister rang me up and told me of yet another train set for sale over at Forster. I had a look at it and thought I would contact them and make a very rude offer for the lot. Layout was completely covered with buildings and station, tunnels and all powered switch outs and red and green lights etc. Then there was about 10 locos and numerous carriages and mostly in usuable condition some for spare parts. The track is not usuable and that bit of info was offered up in the ad and I gues that is why after 3 days no one really made an offer. It was the fact that it could not be proved that the track and locos could not be confirmed to be in going condition that the less than half asking price was made. A few emails went back n forth and each time there was a story about condition and each time I politely said that if it was in going condition then yes your asking price is on the mark but since it is not and the cost of parts to make it go could blow the lot out of the water so IK wished them luck with the sale but my offer still stood and it could be picked up over the weekend.
Long story short is we went out to pick it up this morning. I feel the main problem is one of the controllers that provides power to the track for forward and reverse is dead. It has a separate power supply unit and is untestedso this is where I start. I wantedsome of the locos for our layout then get the new one running and sell it off as a going concern which hopefully works out to being a profit.
Photos soon if interested!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Mrsmackpaul, V8Ian

More
2 years 1 month ago #232691 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Triang Trains
Hope it all works out for you

Cobba without googling the answer, do you know why Triang was called Triang

Well I guess this applies to everyone and anyone, I had no idea until recent times whem reading a book on the company

My brother and I had quite a large set as kids, my Uncle was a die maker for Triang in Australia and it was his and when he got into larger trains it made its way down the line to us and eventually back to my Uncle, I never thought about the name until recent times when I started thinking about the old train set again

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds