Skip to main content

Australian Army Workboats

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #229999 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Australian Army Workboats
I am sure these people can help.

It is a good story about the US Small Ships and their Australian crews.

www.usarmysmallships.asn.au/

And another great story.

medium.com/@JamesGrantHay/macarthurs-nav...oorhead-17ecd22f36d8

And an ABC podcast about the Small Ships

www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/8792658
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, PaulFH, werkhorse

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230000 by Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, werkhorse

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230002 by Lang
Note she is recorded as a "Patrol Vessel" renamed Melbidir out of Thursday Island in 1959.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, werkhorse

More
2 years 3 months ago #230003 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Australian Army Workboats
Lang .... Mate that has been exactly what I've needed to finish off that section of the story.

I do believe I'll owe you a beverage when ever we meet,

Cheers

Werk

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230006 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Australian Army Workboats
Fantastic research Lang with a brilliant result.
The story also reminded me of the MV Krait which did a little steam to Singapore Harbour for a bang of a good time.
I had a very quick look at the list of small boat 'borrowed' for service to our Country. Two names stood right out for me were the Bronzewing and the Kia Ora. Now I do not know if boats can have the same name but both those were registered fishing boats out of Crowdy Head harbor NSW. Both were fairly old timber hulled boats when I saw them last in the harbor and I dont know where they might be now as the Co-Op closed down and not many fishing boats work from there now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230007 by Lang
If you open this you will see the story of the boat to the finish before it was abandoned as Youth Training Ship TRITON on about page 10.

www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/42542458/...-league-of-australia
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, werkhorse

More
2 years 3 months ago #230008 by Lang
Cobba

Old wooden boats last forever. I had a 1913 Pearling Lugger and the 1939 coastal trading boat and both would still be going if disaster had not overtaken them.

The Royal Navy back in the day had ships of the line 75 and more years old so there is no reason your trawlers could not be continuously refurbished 80 year old vessels.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, tim, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230010 by Roderick Smith
At the outbreak of WWII, Australia wasn't really an industrial nation. Our manufacturing capability lay in the railway workshops; engineering enterprises which had morphed from goldfields equipment into general mining, agriculture & irrigation; woodworking shops which had built horse-vehicle, tram and motor bodies; shipbuilders, and the fledgling automotive industry.
They swung into action, and developed new skills, which served them well into the 1950s decade of huge manufacturing growth.
I have countless examples in my files.
The patrol boats, which triggered this thread.
Holden had started life making wooden bodies. It made wooden-frame aeroplanes.
Kelly & Lewis made irrigation pumps, and had built two diesel locos for a timber line in Alexandra. It made electric locos for SEC's Yallourn railway when repeat orders from Germany were out of the question.
Postwar NSWR railmotors used aircraft framing techniques, which resulted in a profile more tubular than most railway equipment.
CAC turned its aircraft skills into building buses, notably the prolific and iconic Bedford SB.
With the giving away of industrial capability, would we have the ability if WWIII broke out next week?
One heartwarming story which shows than we can still do it: with the loss of supply for blue diesel additive, Pivot (maker of fertiliser and explosives) is swinging into action to make the product here.
That follows the recent morphing of distilleries from brandy, rum, gin and other spirits into covid19 sanitiser.

My wooden-boat hobby has extensive posts of workboats which have survived, although most with extensive modifications.

Roderick
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, tim, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230016 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Australian Army Workboats
The unfortunate thing is that the fisherman at Crowdy Head were very light on maintenance and mostly only done due to break down. The dreaded 'worm' got into most of the fleet and some were treated and had it cut out and new planks fited and others not. Some did the deep 6 as they got hooked up on rocky ledges and flipped over and this was the fate of 2 that I know of one being the Sea Spray. Fortunately the Sea Spray although a total loss was replaced with another brand new built boat of the same specs and got the name back.
Another boat the Mary Alice was owned by Zane Grey a writer and floated around on it for a while, while he wrote his book/s. Then was decked out as a trawler. Last I heard of that it went to Maloolabar Qld where the owner retired and possibly sold it off.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, Lang, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds