Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What is this engine 01 Jan 2022 10:32 #230064

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6214
For sale Marketplace.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What is this engine 01 Jan 2022 13:09 #230068

• oliver1950
  • Thank you received: 452
It is similar to a twin cylinder radiator cooled Lister I own but can't really tell from that one photo
You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

What is this engine 01 Jan 2022 15:17 #230071

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1462
x2 with Oliver. Looks like a BTH magneto and definately a Lister style fuel tank. The fan and pulley also look Lister but the radiator cap is not something that rings a bell to me. In theory that cooling system should be thermo syphon and if it is the cap should not pressurise. I have a similar system on my 8hp CD Lister.

Usually Lister ran a radiator on 'tropical' models that ran long time like on a generator or similar. If it is not stuck then the spark issue is nothing to be concerned too much over, At worse a rebuilt magneto starts around $350.00
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, oliver1950

Last edit: by cobbadog.

What is this engine 02 Jan 2022 08:39 #230082

• Lang
Cobba

I may be wrong but why no pressurise the radiator? It increases the boiling point and would have zero effect on thermo flow?

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

What is this engine 02 Jan 2022 16:51 #230099

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1462
Thermo-syphone was very common on POMMY stuff back in the day. Even the David Brown runs thermo-syphon and the radiator cap is a simple screw on affair. I think the idea is that the radiator should be large enough to cope with the high revs long running as compared to a hopper cooled engine.
The David Brown will not open the thermostat just by idling or at revs, it has to be driven to get the engine temp to rise. This also has the engine cooling tube that runs from the back of the water pump which aids the thermo-syphon and directs the coolest of water to the valve guides. All this happens with zero pressure in the radiator.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

What is this engine 02 Jan 2022 17:50 #230104

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 446
err, thermo syphon relies on hot water rising above the cold (and even little bubbles of steam to help it move along) in the absence of a water pump.
All very primitive and before pressurising was thought of. If it worked why change it was probably the operative principle.

What is this engine 02 Jan 2022 18:35 #230109

• Lang
All correct but as I said there is no downside to pressure (unless it is so high it splits the radiator!). It is an open circuit so the pressure has no effect on flow. Hard working syphon systems boil as a matter of course such as long climbs at slow - low air flow through the radiator - speeds or crawling in traffic on a hot day. A bit of pressure will hold off boiling for another few degrees in those situations. "Water wetter" to break the surface tension is probably even better than pressure to delay boiling. Any other additive such as dirty water, alcohols, anti-freeze or corrosion inhibitor will make the engine boil sooner, nothing beats pure water for temperature transfer. This is why modern cars have comparatively huge radiator pressure and run at high temperatures because of the green stuff and also to help with emissions.

Pressure is nothing to do with circulation systems which are commonly either syphon - hot water rising - or pump. A lot of Model T's have been fitted with after market water pumps to increase flow rate and this is normally matched with an improved fan to increase air flow attacking the problem from two sides to overcome the hill and slow traffic situation.

If you pull the top hose off a syphon system while the engine is running or hot you will be very surprised at the strong flow of water. In many situations syphon flow does the job just fine. The blokes with the stationary engines with big tanks only for cooling know how good the flow is.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

What is this engine 04 Jan 2022 12:56 #230189

• Lang
Couple more Listers for sale.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

What is this engine 04 Jan 2022 21:50 #230200

• jeffo
  • Thank you received: 144
My toy tractor, Yanmar 1700 was thermo siphon and a pressurised system.
Radiator way too small for Aus. conditions.
Curiously Yanmar don’t recommend anti corrosion additives in the coolant. They prefer to use replaceable zinc anodes.
Probably a follow on from their marine engines.

What is this engine 05 Jan 2022 05:57 #230209

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2234
Sacrificial anodes are pretty common in lots of things were water is heated so the amode corrodes and not what ever its trying to protect
In areas of hard water this was even more common

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558