Skip to main content

Bucyrus Erie Class III Drageline

More
2 years 3 months ago #230971 by Roderick Smith
This one is preserved in Bosnia, but I suspect not in working order.
151004Su-Banovici-museum-walkingdragcrane-RSmith.

Roderick

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230973 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Swishy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230975 by Lang
Southbound

Blowed if I know but it looks cool to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
2 years 3 months ago #230976 by hayseed

How do U produce & store 300 psi compressed air for air stating the beast in about mid 1930's?

Trucks maximum air 120psi .... beyond th@ U need pressure vessel permit/license me thinks

WoySezU?

cya

Maybe a Steam Engine, Swishy...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230978 by Lang
Rustons in action

This looks like the one in question. It has a direct Mack type air starter.

Here is bigger older one with a piston pressure type start system.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Southbound

More
2 years 3 months ago #230998 by Dave_64
Correct me if I'm wrong, but seem to remember seeing one of those huge slow revving multi cylinder diesels with an air start, somewhere in a museum in rural NSW.
Possibly somewhere up around Mudgee-Rylstone-Kandos area.
Twas a gen set that originally powered the towns electricity supply before being hard wired into the grid, stood there for many years as a back up.

Remember it had a mechanical valve lifter on a ratchet handle and had a humongous flywheel with holes in it in which a crowbar was placed and wound over by hand until a line was inscribed which had to line up with a plate on the engine.
Bloke standing beside me was explaining to his teenage son that it had to be done that way as you only got one shot at starting it, didn't have everything in order it wouldn't start and you had to wait until you could refill the air start bottle.
Not like an Ingersoll Rand where you may have been able to "pinch" some air from a tyre!
Dave_64

More
2 years 3 months ago #231001 by cobbadog
It certainly is a scarey pressure to make and to hold, 300 psi. But it is correct, there are even some large air start stationary engines that have a donkey engine to drive a compressor to gain the 300 psi in order to start up. The last one I saw was at the Clarendon Classic Rally in Sydney and from memory it too was a Ruston engine, a very very large Ruston engine. It took the donkey engine a good 10 minutes to build up pressure. While that was happening the operator had to then go around the engine and get all the right valves opened and some closed, throttle set and maybe even some valve lift to reduce compression a touch.
Once started it is something to see and hear.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #231004 by Lang
Here is the Crossley engine they start each day at midday in Bourke

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #231005 by Lang
Cobba

Just thinking 300psi is not much really. We work every day with 100psi and my old $19 tiny 12v tyre compressor pushes up to 150psi and SCUBA tanks are 3,000psi.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago #231008 by Inter-Action
Pity about the Crossley only running on the one cylinder. i was there 2 years ago and saw it start and run. The bloke did tell me why they only ran 1 cylinder. Can't remember , but it was major surgery to get it up and running on both. Would start easier and run better with both cylinders working.
Regardless , it is still a lovely motor. We have a single (running) and a twin here in a private collection. Not sure of starting pressure but the tank is about the size of a 44 drum , and you only get 1 go out of 1 tank of air. Came from Coolgardie. This bloke has a collection to die for. He will open up if given some notice. We are always looking for help swinging some of the smaller Blackstones and others. The single Crossley is 72 hp , the twin is around 150 from memory. I will try and get some pics for next posting. Dave. Port Lincoln SA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds