Skip to main content

international 414

More
14 years 1 month ago #22859 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: international 414
and whats wrong with glow plugs in a can??? as long as you are Judicious... my 564 loves it.... refusing to do anything other than smoke without a squirt (a 564 is an upgraded 554)
in any case I cant get the old glow plugs out of the head.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #22860 by
Replied by on topic Re: international 414
Sarge - The biggest problems with "startyabastard" is that they get addicted to it (it's true, I tell ya) .. and it only takes a little injudicious additional squirt at the wrong time .. and you've got a broken ring, or a blown head gasket, if the gasket is the weaker part of that particular engine design .. :'(

More
14 years 1 month ago #22861 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: international 414
Ronnie's right, it's not so much that they get addicted to the stuff. it's that it breaks the top rings and they lose compression and then need it. That pre-ignition sort of a little rattle you hear when you use areo start is when it breaks the rings, it's dangerous stuff, you can also use flyspray and a lot of deoderent spray's to the same effect as well.

More
13 years 11 months ago #22862 by Blacksmithpete
Yes Aero Start is addictive and a health hazzard as I have just found out
I have just given my tractor a steam clean ready for open heat surgery

What I want to know is how do you tell the difference between a B250 and B275 and all the others that look the same

I also have checked out Wagga Tractors and they sell a rebuild kit that fits them all
Why is this so??? And what do I need to know ???

BS Pete

More
13 years 11 months ago #22863 by murray2230
Replied by murray2230 on topic Re: international 414
The B250 and B275 both have IH BD144 motor.
The main diference between them is the B250 has a single range 5 speed transimsiion and a single stage clutch, the B275 has a dual range 8 speed transission and a 2 stage clutch.

More
13 years 11 months ago #22864 by Blacksmithpete
Thanks for that
For thae last 20 years I thought I had B 250
Looks like Im going up in the wourld
Pulled the sump off my tractor yesterday to find out one of the conrod bearings had broken the retaining wire and allowed the bolts to come loose
Now for the Million Dollar Question
Do I rebuild the whole motor or just replace the bearings
for $500 I can get a complete rebuild kit and another $90 a new set of glow plugs so hopefully no more areostart will be needed
who wants to put in their 2 cents??

BS Pete

More
13 years 11 months ago #22865 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: international 414
hi mate. i threw a kit through mine and it starts no problem without glow plugs, however i did get the injectors done too. i would recomend pulling the engine out and checking out the crank if the bolts have come loose.

13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #22866 by
Replied by on topic Re: international 414
Pete - If it needs aerostart to crank up, and the rods bolts have been loose, you'd be a mug to try and patch it up. For the $$'s involved in rebuilding the engine, do it properly, and you'll end up with a top little easy-starting, good-running tractor, that will give you a lot of reliable service for years to come.
If the donk is in good nick, you can put up with a lot of other things wrong on the tractor .. but if you have a sick donk .. that's the reason a lot of tractors get sold or scrapped.

Paul is right, do the injectors as well, and make sure the head, valves and guides are done properly. 90% of engine performance problems relate back to crook valves.

Valves are the weakest part of the standard IC engine, and the part that fails long before anything else. If I had my way, I'd have all sleeve-valve engines .. :D

Cheers - Ron ..

More
13 years 10 months ago #22867 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: international 414
Paul,

First things first: is your 414 a A414 or a B414??? Same tractor, only differences are the A414 was built here (AD154 engine) and the B414 was made in the UK (BD154 engine)!

Piccie time - our 1964 A414 Diesel:

Joe

More
13 years 10 months ago #22868 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: international 414
joe. it is a A414

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds