Skip to main content

Some days you win

More
2 years 1 week ago #232707 by Zuffen
Some days you win was created by Zuffen
Cobba's recent train purchase got me thinking about good deals.

I was cruising Marketplace with a beverage in front of me Friday week ago and spotted a 17.5CFM single phase compressor local to me. The description said it was faulty.

Apparently when it was run it would build up pressure quickly to around 40psi then the motor would labour and squeal. The compressor would not gain any more pressure.

I was due to drive to Brisbane on Tuesday so told the seller I would be there next Friday. He agreed to hold it for me.

The rain put paid to driving to Brisbane so I turned around at Newcastle and headed home.

Thought I would drop in and visit said compressor and sure enough it did exactly as stated.

Paid the asking price of $300.00 and shoved it in the back of the Benz and headed home.

Once in the garage I ran it and listened and the motor didn't labour the compressor head was slowing.

A quick adjustment of the drive belt stopped the squeal and rewarded me with 125psi within a few minutes of firing it up

I couldn't believe the seller couldn't see the problem.

You snooze, you lose!

Surely others have had cool wins. Let's hear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Southbound, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #232708 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Some days you win
I was asked if I wanted to buy a little Yanmar tractor, the hydraulics wouldn't work and seeing as it was automatic it wouldn't drive either. Dealer tried but couldn't fix it so told the owner to scrap it. When I went to inspect it sure enough motor ran but no drive and no hydraulics, I offered him $500 and he couldn't take the money quick enough.So we pushed it onto my trailer and took it home.After unloading it I did an internet search that described the same problem being caused by a blocked hydraulic filter behind a plate held in by 4 bolts. Sure enough completely blocked, a quick washout in kerosene and blow out with compressed air replaced and away it went.When I checked there was an identical one on Ebay for $6800 . Photo from the internet,it's to wet and muddy to get to the tractor shed. Mine has surface rust on the panels

You can't have too many toys!
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by oliver1950. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, wee-allis

More
2 years 1 week ago #232716 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Some days you win
Oliver, I had a customer with a little Same tractor. He complained that the main battery cable had got hot and melted the insulation, nearly causing a fire. Auto elec replaced the cable and tested all the electricals to locate a short. None found. The next time he used it, same problem occurred. Got it fixed again and then rang me.

After running it for a while, admittedly a bit sluggish, I checked the cable and sure enough, it was getting hot. It was zip-tied to the main hydraulic pipe. The filter was blocked and the oil was getting forced through, building up enough heat to melt the cable.

Funny what you find, if you look hard enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #232718 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Some days you win
Some years ago I bought a John Deere 3020 power shift tractor for $1200, well below it's market value because it had a really noisy back-end. The park break works off the power shift lever and engages a pawl in a toothed gear via a cable. The back-end was fine, the noise was from a stiff cable not disengaging the pawl fully and allowing it to touch the gear teeth while driving and causing one hell of a clatter. A new cable solved the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #232741 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Some days you win
I was looking at a BMW X3 for my wife on Grays On Line. Went down to Pinkenbah sales yard. Saw a beauty worth about 10,000 but with "loud engine noise and engine light" in the description.

I thought I could live with risking an engine light (ABS) as something in the budget but managed to discover the horrendous engine noise was the plastic shroud had come loose and was hitting the fan.

Anyhow bid was 1,000 and I bid 1,200 and won it. Got it home and erased the engine light with my OBD reader and it has not come back in 18 months.

Like most gamblers all the stories above including mine conveniently forget the numerous times we have fallen on our bums.

Richard, don't mention a boat in Geelong to spoil the story!
Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 1 week ago #232743 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Some days you win
i once got in a big (20 ton Bomag roller.).....repoed when it wouldnt move ........anyhoo ,i quoted the finance co $10 k to get it working again,which was apparently a lot less than the experts ..........knew it was fluid starvation from the noise,sure enough the torn seat had been tossed into the hydraulic tank and was a complete block of pump intake......took about 1/2 hr to have it working again............most finance co repos had serious /expensive problems tho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #232775 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Some days you win
25Yrs ago Youngest Brother had a XF Ute. he was complaining about having to put a couple of Litres of Oil in it every Second Day otherwise the Oil light would Come on. he went & bought another Ute & left it Parked out in the Street & got a couple of Parking Fines..
He told me if I paid the Parking Fines I could have It..
I went & had a Look at it, The Oil pressure sender on the side of the Block was Damaged & slowly pumping the Oil out of It.. A New Oils sender & I drove it around for 18 months & sold It ..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Tacho

More
2 years 1 day ago #233107 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Some days you win
Monday was Council clean up day in our area.

My neighbour put out a 3000lb 12 volt winch for clean up.

I scavenged it and when hooked up to a battery works well.

It's a bit noisy so I'll pull it apart and put some grease in the gearbox and it should be quieter.

Will work well on the car trailer. Better the the hand cranked winch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 day ago #233108 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Some days you win
Under the Marshal Law Act looting is a capital offence.

More
2 years 1 day ago #233130 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Some days you win
We are into day 2 of a clean up week/time here. Almost everything has been put out last weekend with all the cars and trailers cruising up and down the streets. It is amazing what some will take away and good on them if they think they can do something with it.
Usually the nominated day for pick up is around a week late.This gives those who do the looking and picking up time to collect as much as possible then the Council has less to pick up.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds