Skip to main content

Recent Road Trip to the Snowy & Cooma

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #232855 by cobbadog
Well this was the reason I went quiet not so long back. Dee and I went to the Snowy to check out the Snowy Hydro Scheme and a few other things of interest. Found these that may be a talking point for the Forum, not all trucks but still interesting and a part of the History of the Snowy. The first pic is a plaque on a monument that I felt was a perfect image of what went on. Is that one of Swishmans truck n float? The MAN is a great display of too much money sitting around doing nothing. It was parked up at the end of last season and is now gathering spider webs waiting for the next ski season. Now the image of the prisoners at Cooma Gaol to me made me immediately think that Monty Python could make a great skit from this and it still makes me smile looking at it. The White Bedford fire truck is local to Cooma but the Bedfors was from Parkleas Gaol hence the number plate.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, xspanrman, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #232856 by cobbadog
Next the pics are from the Snowy Museum at Adaminaby and this is a real gem of a place. The first 2 pics have descriptions as to what or where they are and there was a huge wall of images showing all sorts of things dam related. The Albion Chieftan was bought new for the Snowy Scheme and later auctioned off to the Cooma Shire Council and then sold on later to a private contractor. It sure looked as if it had a hard life when you looked up close. Then there is this sign! Was it designed for the Irish or the Dagos but it sure confuses me.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #232858 by cobbadog
Finally with this bunch are a couple of Land Rovers. The red one is a Firefly bought in 1960 and the green one bought new for the Snowy Scheme. Interestingly they have the chains on the front tyres which indicates to me it must have mainly been in 4wd while playing in the snow. Next is a shot of the Antar trucks loaded up and the final pic maybe relevant to a current thread, is this a Fargo Kew? On our last day in Cooma we were told about a car show at the local car club. There must be some filthy rich car owners in Cooma. They have a Club House the size of an aircraft hanger and is split level complete with a full bar serving the refreshments and downstairs a 1950s milk bar for the kids. I have never seen so many high end cars on display both inside and outside of the Club House. I mean the cars on display were as good as they get. Some were from Canberra but most were local. I have many pics of these if interested but beware of what you ask for.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #232861 by Lang
Imagine trying to do that today?

A combination of Unions, WH&S, Aboriginal claims and Green obstruction would send the nation broke.

One of the great engineering feats of the mid-20th Century.

It is a pity it is spread out over many hills and valleys and impossible to stand on a lookout to get a picture of the whole operation.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #232862 by cobbadog
You are so right about that Lang and after sorting out those obstacles you then have to have 2 dozen surveys and jump through more hoops than a school girl just to turn a rock over. You ask about an overview picture, this is the best I could do. It is a model in the park at Cooma.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #232863 by hayseed
Cobba, Did you go to the Discovery Centre...??

www.snowyhydro.com.au/visit/snowy-hydro-discovery-centre/

It's well worth a Visit there's a big scale Model. along with a Big Room where all the walls are projector Screens with Footage of a Drone Flying over the Whole thing..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #232864 by hayseed
These Sheds are still there Today Too...

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/28101

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #232870 by Mrsmackpaul
It is a project that was truely visionary for its time

I think about 160 men died building the snowy scheme, its a real shame how it has all ended up today, a BIG POLITICAL FOOTBALL

But all that aside it is amazing and there were plans to go a lot further but our spineless leaders have no stomach or the balls to take anything like this on anymore

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 week ago #232873 by overnite
MrsMac we don’t need any schemes like that anymore, we’re going to have an abundance of cheap green renewable energy. Haven’t you heard about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 week ago #232875 by cobbadog
hayseed, we certainly did vist the discovery centre and watched both videos. The main one they put on now is projected onto the wall and floor and it was so good to watch but the other less shown one is longer and better in the fact it is more about the building of the scheme and not so much an advertisement of chest beating telling more about what they are doing now. We both wanted a history lesson not predictions.
There is a great model of a TBM that is lit up with lights showing what does what and is fantastic. It took us close to 2 and half hours to go through the centre.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds