Skip to main content

1952 Ferguson

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #233971 by Lang
1952 Ferguson was created by Lang
Yesterday’s project now finished. The little 1952 TEA 20 has a full 2 pack coat of paint for its 70th birthday. I also removed the starter button and got the original gearstick start operating. It is a dual tank kero model but I doubt it has run on anything but straight petrol for 50 years.

Just for the 4 foot slasher in the back paddock – after the previous 85hp FIAT and 6 foot slasher at times I think a pair of scissors would be quicker than the Fergy!
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #233973 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1952 Ferguson
Looks great Lang. Yes to have the original remote starter working is a benefit instead of fumbling around for another switch which can be hidden away out of reach. I notice that you put the blue band on it. Do you know what that was about? I was told it was something a dealer in Innisfail did on his tractors he sold.
Running them on kero works out dearer than buying petrol now. It is hard to find a place that sells kero in bulk so to buy it a litre at a time at the hardware becomes pricey. I sometimes think of running the Cropmaster on some kero one day but will have to wait for a win on Lotto. Being low compression there should be no issues in running it on kero just make sure it is at running temperature before switching over. Your carby should have a drain cock on the bowl incase you shut down for lunch and not switch it back to petrol. This allows you to drain the kero and get the petrol in place.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 11 months ago #233974 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic 1952 Ferguson
Kero fuel harder on engines, cylinder wear and burnt exhaust valves. False economy.
Manifolds glow red hot at night - quite spooky watching them out working in a paddock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #233975 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1952 Ferguson
Cobba

Yes there is a drain cock on the carby.

This tractor was in amazing original condition. Rust and panel beating almost zero. Certainly stored under cover in a dry climate all its life. The paint was all original and just getting really thin with undercoat showing through all over. The blue stripe was almost certainly there from new as its deterioration matched the grey exactly. The grey was not hard to match once I found which of the 3 Ferguson Greys applied to this model. The Blue stripe also had a Ferguson number in my paint supplier's catalogue. He just made a pressure can for me. I have never used one of those 2 pack cans with the double compartments you puncture and shake. Worked perfectly.

I normally am not too precious about detail but I thought it worth getting this little girl right. I took the whole bonnet into the paint supplier and he computer matched both the blue and grey. After doing whatever he does on the computer he said both the colours in his catalogue were 90% likely to be correct, as close as you will get to an exact match with 70 year old paint.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #233977 by Lang
This is what it looked like last week with 14 year old grandson earning his $10 an hour cutting the back 10 acres. I have started smoothing the few small dents on the nose. Rest of the bonnet and guards were perfect.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 year 11 months ago #233979 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1952 Ferguson
Looks great Lang. Yes to have the original remote starter working is a benefit instead of fumbling around for another switch which can be hidden away out of reach. I notice that you put the blue band on it. Do you know what that was about? I was told it was something a dealer in Innisfail did on his tractors he sold.
Running them on kero works out dearer than buying petrol now. It is hard to find a place that sells kero in bulk so to buy it a litre at a time at the hardware becomes pricey. I sometimes think of running the Cropmaster on some kero one day but will have to wait for a win on Lotto. Being low compression there should be no issues in running it on kero just make sure it is at running temperature before switching over. Your carby should have a drain cock on the bowl incase you shut down for lunch and not switch it back to petrol. This allows you to drain the kero and get the petrol in place

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 11 months ago #233995 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1952 Ferguson
Kero engines should not be run on blue lighting kerosine ......its not correct , is too hard to vapourize,and has zero anti knock rating........the correct kerosine is called "power kerosine" or TVO....tractor vapourizing oil.............which I doubt can be bought in this country.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #233996 by Lang
John I looked at a few pommy tractor sites and they say you can run on a household kerosene/petrol mix but more popular is AVTUR jet fuel/petrol mix. My question is why, in your wildest dreams, would you go to the expense and trouble?

Just looked at my first photos - yes, I can run a straight line with masking tape, just the lens on the camera makes the blue stripe edges appear rough.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 11 months ago #234006 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1952 Ferguson

you can run on a household kerosene/petrol mix but more popular is AVTUR jet fuel/petrol mix. My question is why, in your wildest dreams, would you go to the expense and trouble?

Lang

I agree Lang, I seem to recall on here many years ago we had few tractor enthusiasts and they discussed making power kero in depth

From what I recall, even then power kero wasnt available in Australia and hadn't been for decades

I reckon they (the forum members) settled on a mixture of diesel, petrol and normal kero

Once again though, why would anyone bother, maybe the novelty of it because that pretty much explains all of us demented fruit loops playing with old buckets of bolts

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
1 year 11 months ago #234012 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic 1952 Ferguson
Paul they do it for the smell the only time I didn’t like sitting sniffing the exhaust smell of the farmall AM was cultivating corn on a hot day if I’d had a big night the night before

Bluey
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds