Skip to main content

1952 Ferguson

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #234016 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1952 Ferguson
For the experts.

The casting on the transmission housing says 4-11-2 (4 November 1952)

The plate in front of the steering wheel says TEA 299250 which from the Ferguson site also confirms 1952

My mystery is the Ferguson site says the Kero tractors had prefix TED (I always thought this was for diesel). I believe this tractor was kero from new with dual tank, two way fuel tap/filter, carby quick drain etc. There is no sign of replacement, after market piping or any modification - all looks completely factory with jig bent lines etc.

There is quite a bit of discussion on the site of the Australian production doing their own thing and everything was just branded TEA for about 10 years in the early days

Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #234019 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 1952 Ferguson

This is what it looked like last week with 14 year old grandson earning his $10 an hour cutting the back 10 acres.

If junior is getting paid by the hour he would be happy to be on the Fergy rather than the Fiat, I know I would be in low first for as long as it takes. :)

Terry
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234020 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic 1952 Ferguson
Lang, most of the early ones had the engine casting date cast into the block behind the generator. It reads the same as the transmission dating system. It can be seen easily enough, particularly now you have done such a great job of cleaning and painting the old dear. Good for another 70 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234023 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1952 Ferguson
TED = TVO not diesel, makes sense.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #234025 by Lang
Wee-Allis

I will go and see what is on the engine.

lang

Well I looked at the engine as suggested and the casting date is 21-9-2 only a few weeks before the transmission casting date so I would put money on it being a complete original tractor.
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234029 by Lang
Found out that in the early 50's Reekie in Scotland were the main Ferguson dealer. They converted some te20's to narrow track and sold quite a few. Ferguson found out about it and would not approve the design so rather than lose their distributorship Reekie stopped making them.

Surprise, surprise, very shortly after this Ferguson came out with their narrow "vineyard" model almost identical to the Reekie model.

Point is all the Reekie tractors had the blue stripe. You can see how they shortened the axle and turned the mudguards to fit.

Also according to the British Farm site a number of tractors were exported to New Zealand and the Ferguson factory produced them with the blue stripe

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Southbound

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234037 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1952 Ferguson
Many of the narrow models were used in hop farming, orchids and vineyards of course. They built many in France for the vineyards too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds