Skip to main content

International 554/564 Tractor

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #235516 by Bluey60
The biggest problem with the later glow plugs is if one burns out none of them work the Tojo ones you bypass the resistor and they all power up with one wire in parallel
If your putting an original inter one in make sure you fit it with the curl leaning away from the injector (that will make sense when your looking at one)

Bluey
Later should read Inter
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Bluey60.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #235519 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic International 554/564 Tractor
Inter Action it is a done deal. I am not too worried - there were certainly thousands sold and many still soldiering on (including it seems with quite a few forum members). For a monthly slasher tractor I am sure it will do the job.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 9 months ago #235525 by Bluey60
The old girl looks good and straight your ahead of me,mine hasn’t got any jewellery on the bonnet one day when I’ve got nothing to do I’ll have a go at casting some out of some old pistons won’t be as shiny as chrome but polished alloy will do in the dark
Ryan Clancy in Toowoomba told me he is pretty sure there’s a bloke in Withcot who has a mold to make the fibreglass grill/nose cone if you want Ryan’s number pm me and I’ll send it to you

Cheers Bluey
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #235533 by 180wannabe
It will do you well Lang, but i would avoid using aerostart at all cost if you possibly can. There is a knurled knob on the top of the injector pump that you can lift for cold starts. In my experience it is not necessary, and just makes even more smoke on start up. Pre-heated enough with glow plugs (20 seconds with original plugs and maybe 40 seconds with Toyota plugs) it should start easily and cleanly.
We have a 564 as our main FEL tractor, and i like it so much for that job i will do what ever is necessary to keep it going for ever. It will lift 1.4t on the forks, and 1.8t right back by the radiator. It does get a bit hard to steer at that though!
Dad bought a Ford 5000 FEL to replace it, but i like the 564 so much that neither he or i have even started the 5000 for 3 years.
Because these old Inters are hard on batteries, and because ours does a lot of short running, i have fitted an 80 amp alternator which has at least doubled battery life.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #235539 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic International 554/564 Tractor
Lang, the injector is yours, Sorry Jarrod... PM your address. I had heard you could renew the coil on the end of the burnt ones if you were clever with a welder.... might be old wives.... I could not get the glow plugs out of my much loved 564 when she eventually packed up (operator error..... and then I tried to bypass the dead one and immediately popped the next one, heard it pop) So the new one was never fitted. I ran the tractor for years with the glow plug undone, waiting for it to shoot out. She was a great worker.... until again operator error killed her.... Replaced the injector pump exactly as it was removed actually thought there should be tabbed washers on the bolts..... yep they let go at full noise, cam gear timing gear front of the crank all smashed plus the pump and cast cover.

a great slasher tractor with a remote pto clutch (hand operated) they often creep but easy to adjust once you know how.

The rotary pump is a better thing than the inline pump. And as others have said very good battery/ies....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #235546 by asw120
No worries Sarge. John K had told me of repairing those glow plugs back in the day. (actually I should ring him, haven't heard from him in a while)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #235550 by Mrsmackpaul
These old Inters were never good starters, that been said as Lang has already said, they sold these like hot cakes and there still bucket loads about getting used on hobby farms a proper farms for light duty type of work

IH starter fluid was invented and still readily available for a reason

Case IH ZAD6

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #236286 by Bluey60
Lang I haven’t forgotten you I’ve been flat out and haven’t had time to get mine outside to take a few photos of the front grill it didn’t have one when I bought it and one Sunday arvo when I had nothing else to do I decided I’d have a go at build one still needs a big of tidying up but once I get another Sunday with nothing else to do I’ll take it off and get into it
Should have tractor out in this next couple of days

Ryan Clancy is Ron Clancy’s son they have a tractor parts business and.import all manner of parts for this old rusty stuff we like to play with
His phone number is. 0408 062 462

Cheers Bluey

More
1 year 8 months ago #236287 by Lang
No problem Bluey the tractor still has not arrived. I am about to take a drive and throttle the bloke. Whole day wasted waiting last week, no phone call but when I got in touch "I didn't realize I had made a firm time to deliver" This is after long discussion on times, how to get in the gate and me arranging to be there to meet him.

You just can't get good help these days.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #236956 by Lang
Well the International finally arrived. The dealer promised delivery 4 times in the last two months and not once called to say he could not make it. You might describe my last couple of communications as "terse".

Anyhow he rolled up at 5.00 this morning. My popularity chart has taken a dive as there are houses backing all along the paddock. Old mate wanting to demonstrate his good will got it going with aero start and before I could stop him drove it right along everyone's' back fence on the governor. Suppose it was about time the howling kids and barking dogs got out of bed anyhow.

New seat going on, Toyota Landcruiser Gloplug conversion enroute from Wagga Tractors and a new grille from Inverell Tractors and she will be ready to pressure clean and paint. The grass will not need slashing until Spring.

I had not noticed when I bought it (sight unseen) that it is all set up for a front blade.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds