Skip to main content

David Brown Cropmaster 30C

More
1 year 8 months ago #236262 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic David Brown Cropmaster 30C
It does look that way Lang but when fitted the only thing not under compression by 2 flat surfaces are the 2 ears that stick out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #236300 by cobbadog
Don't you love it when I keep changing the topic?
Back onto the charging system. As I may have mentioned I removed the regulator and had a look in through the holes where the rubber grommets are and there is a screw behind each grommet. One side for volts and other for amps, I guess. I did another start up and it seems that the fuel flow issue is solved so with the regulator off and the D and F terminals bridged and then a multimeter connected to them and earth I was getting voltage all over the place at idle and with revs again all over the place so I took the generator off. My thoughts were maybe it is full of a mud wasp nest or brushes are stuck or similar. This is what I found. Nothing bad but filthy dirty inside. The brushes are not stuck but the armature is a mess so I gave that a clean up then looked at the commutator as well. There was a definite recessed section where the brushes run so I removed the front pulley and threw it in the lathe and made the finest of fine skims across it to make it nice and flat and clean. All the insulators between those sections are in tact and some where bridging and touching the one next to it so I carefully removed those tiny bits. Tomorrow I will continue to clean the generator up plus make sure the brushes are not sticking by cleaning out the housing they slide in. So more pics on this tomorrow and hopefully with a good result. If worse comes to worse I will buy a new Indian made generator and fit it. You will notice a gouge around the armature, this is something that went for a rough and tumble in a previous owners life not mine but this seems not to have effected the ability to make charge in the past.
While fiddling about with this stuff I noticed a short length of flexible rubber hose and thought "shit" I have to fit that into Lorry for his brake fluid supply to a master cylinder. Busy boy at this end.

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by cobbadog.

More
1 year 8 months ago #236321 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic David Brown Cropmaster 30C
That armature looks OK. So long as you end up with at least some undercut between segments, should be fine.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 8 months ago #236341 by cobbadog
Here is where its at. I did give it a skim and the segments are not touching but there was a couple of tiny burrs from the lathe tool that I tidied up by hand and a Stanley knife. I then looked at the end cover and brushes and gave them a good clean up and put it back together again. I did a bench test using a drill to drive the nut on the pulley and bridged terminals D n F then with a test light tested between the terminals and earth and it lit up. So then did the same again with the meter and got 14.5v. Put everything back together and there is a marked improvement but want more. The Volt meter on the dash reads about 12.5v - 13v, Amp meter shows a slight positive reading on a 30A gauge which again is better than before. Pull the lights on and Amps go to just below "0" and the V reads below 12v. In my mind not good enough.
So again I bridged the D n F terminals and at just above idle it still reads 14.5v and up to 16v at times it is not a steady output. I am now thinking that the regulator is not as good as it should be but when I read a booklet on how to set one it requires an Amp gauge to be hooked up as well as the Volt meter and the description is not all that clear. I am thinking of buying a new one and bolt it on.
Any thoughts on what I have deduced so far?

More
1 year 8 months ago #236353 by asw120
First, I must assume you have good earths everywhere and no dodgy wiring connections. Sometimes you just have to ohm everything out, even though it looks good.
I have the same regulator on the Farmall. It had two bad earth connections internally. You probably shouldn't have to adjust it, just clean the points.
From memory, besides the cutout contact, there is only one field contact. If you run the tractor at a high idle with the meter connected across the generator output (with the battery disconnected) you should get rated voltage across the battery leads. Pushing the field contact together you should get something higher, the same as if you joined the field and output terminals (as you have been doing).
Clip leads are a sanity saver in this regard (for attaching the meter).
A new regulator (if dirty points are not the problem) certainly won't hurt.
You'll get it. You always do.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 8 months ago #236376 by cobbadog
Yes Jarrod, First thing I did do was to text the leads from generator to regulator and did find a bad connection on the D lead at generator itself. I cut it off and fitted a new one and got all 000 on the meter. Flead was perfect so left that alone. I did have a scratch around where the regulator sits but on the RB108 the regulator is insulated via rubber grommets but does have its own earth lead so it is connected to a nice clean area on the bracket to frame then there is another earth comming from the dashboard and that is earthed on the other regulator mounting bracket to frame.
So hopefully tomorrow or on the weekend I will unfold the aluminium under the base to lift off the cover and check the points and clean them. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube from a company named MOSS in the UK and they were very helpful in helping me to try and understand what the regulator does and what to check. When I know more I will post here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

More
1 year 8 months ago #236433 by cobbadog
Went back to basics today with this system. The testing done below is what is set out in a Case/David Brown workshop manual which was described in a better waay than the original workshop manual.

I started with 12.5v at the battery with nothing running or on. It is a bit low becasue it has not been charging properly.

Dyno Test
Belt not slipping and both wires disconnected at D and F terminals on the dyno.

Bridged both these terminals and connected the multimeter from D to earth at the battery. At idle I have between 12.5v - 14.5 but sometimes up to 15.0v

Just above idle it rises to an average of 18v and sometimes higher.

Reconnected the wires to the dyno and disconnected them at the regulator and did the same test as just performed and got the similar numbers of 12.5v to 14.0v.

Disconnected the wires from D and F at dyno and regulator. Connected a jump lead to the D wire at regulator end then to positive at the battery. Checked voltage at the D wire dyno end but is still disconnected from the dyno and got 12.4v battery voltage which is now a little bit less than when I started the test and I guess this is because of the starting and stopping and running. Tested then the F wire and got 0v.

Reconnected all wires both ends to both D and F but removed 'A' lead from regulator. Wire from regulator has a good earth. Started the engine and ran it to 2000rpm and this is where it all went wrong.
I was getting erratic readings mostly 4v - 10 but then jumping up to 18v. This is where I stopped testing as the next steps start on adjusting the regulator and as suggested not to do this at that time.
I did not at this time do the same test between the E terminal and earth. Should I do this or does the regulator need adjusting ? I was thinking of removing the outter case to check that the points inside are not stuck.

The next step but not taken was to adjust the screw. Since this step has not been taken and then there are 2 more after this I just stopped and await advise.
Thanks in advance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 8 months ago #236473 by asw120
Definitely pull the cover off the regulator.
Something is not right and it just sounds like the points.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 8 months ago #236517 by cobbadog
Hi Jarrod.
I did just that today and it was all nice and clean inside. I had some 1500 wet n dry paper and gave both sets of points a clean first after an inspection. They did not look too bad nor dirty or stuck but they are now cleaned up. Reconnected the regulator and the volts dropped off at the regulator and for a very short time the Amps went up to around 25A then dropped off.
I will call past the wreckers tomorrow in a hope they may have a usuable regulator. If not I will buy in a new one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 8 months ago #236560 by cobbadog
I went to the local wreckers today and made the guy behind the counter laugh when I asked for a regulator to suit a generator. So I rang one of the local auto electric shops. Yes he has both a new generator and regulator if I need them. How much for the regulator? Only $278.00, I said that is how much they are asking for them out of the UK. So the only tractor parts supplier with stock at the right price was Heads Tractor Spares at $72.00 so it will be on its way tomorrow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, asw120

Time to create page: 0.608 seconds