Skip to main content

David Brown Cropmaster 30C

More
1 year 8 months ago #236647 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic David Brown Cropmaster 30C
While it is usual for the current to be high for a few seconds after starting, that does seem off. I imagine you already know what a normal ammeter reading looks like and that wasn't it. Hopefully the new regulator sorts things.
If you have further trouble, you can always ring me.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #236656 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic David Brown Cropmaster 30C
Thanks Jarrod. Heads are sending the regulator and left their workshop today. Hopefully it doesn't do a lap of Australia before geting here.
Hopefully it should be as simple as connecting it up and start it.
Since I have both an Amp and Volt gauge in the dash the volts have been around 12v or so on the gauge since fitting it. It was fitted because the Amp gauge rarely showed a charge and would oscillate close to zero and was never steady. At one time after cleaning the points in the rgulator the amps were reading high around 20A but since then dropped back to nothing again. Also now the volts are well below 8v.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 8 months ago #236850 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic David Brown Cropmaster 30C
What a handful of days I have had lately with David. Regulator was late arriving and when I went to fit it, the bloody thing had bullet terminals instead of bayonet. So out with the soldering iron and solder all the new terminals on and then connect them. Did a trial run and it was no different as far as measuring the voltage at the battery but nothing at the Amp or Volt gauges. Then another issue rose its bloody head. Turn on the ignition and the Volt gauge would illuminate but not the other 3 gauges and they are all wired in parallel, work that one out. Turn on the lights and the Volt one goes out and the other light up. First though was an earth somewhere but where. So this means the steering wheel off to make it easier to remove the dash and see down behind it. With a good lead light I traced all wires along and they were exactly as they should be and started checking the earth wires and they all checked out perfectly. Then looking at the Volt gauge I noticed that the live wires going to it were almost touching and I know I never fitted them like that. Even though both wires had insulated terminals on them there seemed to be something like oil on the wires and around them. So I moved the wires that were almost touching and wiped all the wires clean and started the tractor. BINGO got Amps reading at around 10A and Volts at 13.5 just above idle. So checking other wires around the place then I noticed oil dripping down and it was comming from the oil pressure gauge. Oh for joy more shit. So undo the copper pipe after confirming it was the joint at the gauge and not a pin hole in the copper tube. Then I remembered it also has a reducing adaptor to connect the tube to the gauge. So I cleaned up the adaptor and used some Stag Jointing paste and fitted it then the same with the copper tube. Oil leak stopped dead in it's tracks. Then I opened my big mouth what can go wrong next? A fuel leak was the answer to that question. I put about half a tank full of fuel in the large front tank and filled the rear one up. It was then I could smell fuel then spotted it dripping from under the tank but you cannot see that because it sits on a cradle. So I drained the small back tank and the drip stopped so I thought that was the problem tank. Topped up the front tank and the drip started again. So I drained it and filled the small back tank and all is good.
So as I type this epic storey, I have calmed a little bit, I am not swearing as much and David is ready to go to the Yesteryear Truck Show on Friday.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, Zuffen, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #236864 by Mrsmackpaul
Your heading in the right direction now so all is good in the world

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.455 seconds