Skip to main content

Kohler Command pro generator woes

More
1 year 8 months ago #236434 by Dave_64
Cobba,
Not sure if it has to have a little bit of sump pressure, until I get a printed copy of the manual with diagrams, not even sure at what I'm looking at!

After telling owner (son) to vacate said premises, may be a while before I even get a look at it( manual, that is)!

I can get over these things pretty easily, dunno about him!
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #236462 by cobbadog
Yes there is always some crank case pressure but not enough to blow the dipstick out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #236466 by jon_d
Is this a Chinese Honda clone or something else?

If it is, check the tappets. They will not run at all (zero, nada, nothing) if the tappets are tight. Back them off so there is a whisker (or more) of rocker clearance/movement at TDC.

The lubrication is splash and the piston going up and down will create a lot of turbulence. The oil thing maybe a gotcha.

Spark, compression and fuel are needed.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by jon_d.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #236471 by hayseed

Is this a Chinese Honda clone or something else?

Nope, It's an American ,made Kohler..

Unit in question is an 8 kva powered by a Kohler single cylinder, horizontal crank, ohv engine.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by hayseed.

More
1 year 8 months ago #236491 by jon_d

More
1 year 8 months ago #236606 by Dave_64
Thanks to All for suggestions re this POS !
Original US built engine. a hell of a lot older and done a hell of a lot more work than what the seller told the son!
Took a bit of chasing up, but got hold of a carby kit, new spark plug, change engine oil and filter, air filter, stopped oil leak at governor control shaft.
At least we got it going reasonably well, for how long I dont know
Looks like divorce has been shunted aside, temporarily anyway!
At least until I get it out of the shed !
Next time it plays up, told him not to bring it here!
Dave_64

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #237042 by Dave_64
Well, after much pulling of hair, gnashing of teeth and turning the air blue for the neighbours, finally got this old biatch going reasonably well, at least good enogh to get rid of it out of the shed, so can spend a bit of time with the mistress (Kogzbilt project, been sadly neglected this past month or so!)
BUT. seems once you get something going, another thing lays an egg! Engine ticking over nicely, at high idle, putting out 230-240 volts. when I let it get on the governor, immediately goes up to around 275-280 volts! NO LOAD, only the multi meter!
Kohler engine, but generator made by mob called Power King in Regency Paek SA. Tried to contact them, no go, recorded message says number no longer available. Mob called EPG looks like it may have taken them over, have shot them an email already.
HAD a heavy duty Makita power drill as well as a Bosch 5 inch angle grinder testing it, Makita drill lit up like a Xmas tree and completely stuffed it! Had it into the drill hospital but gone the way of the dinosaurs! Cactus! Had to spring for a new drill. But little angle grinder seems unaffected.
Generator part is completely sealed, may be a good thing, keep my grubby hqnds out of it.
WAS going to be an olive branch to offer son and heir, about all it will do is set him off again, more divorce proceedings!
HEY! Beats putting a mirror on the breakfast bar and arguing with it!
Cheers. Dave_64
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 8 months ago #237045 by PaulFH
Metal monsters sent to try us, Dave.
Keep at it, you'll beat it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
1 year 8 months ago #237047 by cobbadog
Sounds like th engine is solved bu the generator has issues. I know less than nothing when it comes to them real zise electrickery makers but sounds like a rectifyer is stuffing up or abrush is sticking. If it is internal then invite the owners to the Viking Funeral.
Blowing the old drill may have been a coincidence but let them know that had happened and it cost $??? to replace. Play on their conscience.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
1 year 8 months ago #237071 by Mrsmackpaul
Shouldn't be any need to worry about the voltage
If the frequency is correct the rest should be a okay, but what would I know ?

Frequency is governed by the rpms, so this needs to be correct, sounds like it isnt

Voltage wont change the speed of the drill, frequency will, to many revs on on the genny means the frequency is to high which in turn means the drill spins to fast that will lead to a armature winding getting flung

So if you adjust the governor back until the voltage is close the frequency should be close as well, or get a frequency meter and make sure

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds