Skip to main content

Kohler Command pro generator woes

More
1 year 8 months ago #237089 by Dave_64
Hmmm.............. gor an email back from EPG early this a.m.
Bloke reckons that engine speed governs voltage output
@ 3000RPM, should still be putting out a max of 260volt at the most, if putting out more, reckons theres a fault in the generator section itself, no way should it be exceeding that.
Son and heir has one of those doohickeys that plug into any 240 volt outlet, whether for home or power pack, gonna bring it around next cupla days, so may know more. This device supposedly tells voltage at power points, but also when you hook up a power tool, microwave or whatever, it also supposedly gives amps drawn , or watts as well as cycles.
So, we'll see.
Generator itself is a sealed unit, this rooster reckons the only way to check it is send it to a small motor bloke. Also said that settings, other than RPM ia irrelevant to whatever engine fitted, providing an 8kva unit requires X amount of H.P.
I can only go on what this bloke said, until I get some correct output figures.
Thanks, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #237094 by jon_d

Bloke reckons that engine speed governs voltage output
@ 3000RPM, should still be putting out a max of 260volt at the most, if putting out more, reckons theres a fault in the generator section itself, no way should it be exceeding that.

Yes, correct. They don't have an AVR per se. There is a capacitor (usually mounted in the end of the alternator) which balances everything. The inductance, the capacitance and the RPM's. At 50 hetz, 3000 revs, it should all balance at 230-240 volts RMS. Best way to check is using the analogue meter on the front panel. Don't use a digital meter because it will pick all the harmonics and include it in the measurement.

If the RPM is high, the voltage will be high.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by jon_d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
1 year 8 months ago #237100 by hayseed

. There is a capacitor (usually mounted in the end of the alternator) which balances everything.

Yep, It's the Only thing I've had to replace on My Welder/Generator over the 20plus years I've owned It..!! From memory It's on Its 3rd Capacitor..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #237129 by Dave_64
This will be a last hurrah for me on this topic, I feel.
But if anyone else can add something, I'll take it on board, I've stuffed it in a corner of the shed and covered it up for the time being!
Have one of those photo reflective RPM counters which I have found to be reasonably accurate, so son brought his you-beaut 240 volt outlet tester.
Fitted a hand throttle to the Kohler and at 2365 RPM, tester is showing anything from around 160v volts up to 270v
EPG the mob who now deal in these generators are saying max 3000 RPM SHOULD give a range of 220 to 260v absolute max
I bump it up so its on the governor, out put goes absolutely berserk at even 27-2800RPM.......... Hit over 380V at one stage momentarily, back to higb idle, still jumps all over the range,
Theres a bloke over around Clunes way, supposed to know a bit about these gennys, will call in and ask him if its worth persevering with it, but not ME!
I DID take the top cover off, all I found was a monumental aqmount of crap, blew it out with air best I could.
Under the dual power outlets, looked what MAY be a capacitator, bell-shaped device, prolly about 3 inches long, may be sitting on a heat sink.
BIT, I've had a gutful, snatched it, time to get someone who knows these gizmos, otherwise may be destined for a boat anchor!
Thanks to All for your input, Cheers, Dave_64
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #237132 by wee-allis
One final test I could suggest for you Dave. That being the bouyance test. Take it down to the dam, place it gently on the surface of the water. If it floats, it's ok. If it sinks, it failed the test. Might work for you.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #237134 by Dave_64
wee-allis,
Like your thinking, Steve!
What about if it fails the buoyancy test on the dam, I can always use it to anchor the suction pipe to the bottom??

More
1 year 8 months ago #237142 by wee-allis
Dave, I guess anything has a use in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #237147 by cobbadog
The only thing I would add is a match to the fuel tank. That is only if you don''t need an anchor in the dam.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by cobbadog.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #238013 by Dave_64
Well, young bloke picked this POS up from the motor rewinders yesterday, took it out to his block and hooked it up.
Was charged $160 odd for new capacitator and general clean up.
No better he tells me, still varing berween
150 and 250 volts since hand throttle added!
Sparky reckons half the problem is in the carby so we have ordered a new one,$25 ex china and if that doesnt cure it, will be destined for the scrap heap, I fear.
Up to him what he does with
It, he's already a grand out of pocket with what he paid for it originally and what we've spent on it so far.
Comes a time when you have to say enough! Turn mothers pocture to the wall and admit you have been sold a pup, or you have bought a lemon!
Got a mate who loves tinkering around with these small engines, retired spanner man, will put new carby on here and get him to have a look at it, again.
Be funny if it was the emgine all along!
Dave_64
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 7 months ago #238018 by overnite
Why not spray either down the carby while running, and see if it speeds up. Maybe someone has been tinkering with the governor springs or rods, or disconnect all governor applications and just see if you can get full revs manually?

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds