Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tandem tractors 06 Aug 2022 13:51 #238078

• wouldyou
  • wouldyou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 185
Further to my post in the Perkins topic about performance of tandems the next step was the tractors paired as an articulated unit. We had been using Fiat crawlers for some time, Agricultural Parts Supply Co Ltd were the agents and fabricated the hitch unit for their wheel tractors.
We had one set of 650 model then a second hand set of 615's, the designation describing 65 and 61 HP. Next purchase a 1300, the 650's had three cylinder motors, the 1300 six cylinders identical bore and stroke and RPM. Tyres on 650 tandems 18.4x30, 1300 had 23,1x34 duals. The tandems had equal traction and until a turbocharger was fitted to the 1300 it could not match them power wise.
David.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter- Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Tacho, wee-allis, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tandem tractors 06 Aug 2022 14:08 #238079

• 180wannabe
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 292
Fantastic photos and information David, thank you for sharing.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou

Tandem tractors 06 Aug 2022 15:19 #238082

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2614
I am impressed David

The poms reckon they were the only ones making tractors like this with the tripple D

I know Falconer motors at Toowoomba made kits for the Ford 5000s and no doubt lots of others as well

I reckon the Fiats were good tractors and plenty of power for what they were

I remember the adds for Fiats and they rated their tractors by the acres of land to be farmed
750 was 650 plus acre tractor, cant remember the rest
I feel the 750 was the biggest in Fiats line up at that stage

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, PaulFH

Tandem tractors 06 Aug 2022 16:10 #238085

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1126
I read somewhere that Joh had four ironwheel Fordsons hitched together and did contract plowing 24 hr a day ,by the light of kerosine lamps .
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou, PaulFH

Tandem tractors 07 Aug 2022 20:47 #238132

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1428

We had 745 Massey tractors tandem piggy back. When the L4 motors tired they were replaced with 4/270's, Massey Harris had estimated the gear box life relevant to motor life so next thing the most used gear teeth would lose their facing.
The cylinders had two O rings at the bottom with a drain hole in the block located below the top one, water drip there resulted in a match being inserted in the hole and hoping the lower ring held.
Both model motors did well, the weakest points being water pump and generator bearings.
The photo shows two 18 disc Chamberlain ploughs, One on it's own behind one tractor was asking too much however the tandems could handle the pair comfortably.
David.

Good stuff, Wouldyou...

My Father inlaw had a Fiat650 & a WD9 hooked up something like your pic here with a Rope & pulley arrangement to work the Clutch..
You appear to have a bit more sophisticated setup than Him ??
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Tandem tractors 07 Aug 2022 21:43 #238136

• wouldyou
  • wouldyou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 185
Yes hayseed, on the Masseys had a rod from extended clutch pedal through a hole in an angle iron above radiator height, a small triangular plate on the underside of rod would catch and hold clutch disengaged. A hinged lever with rod to fuel pump for engine revs and a half inch pipe through an eye bolt to the gear lever.
The clutch and throttle on the Fiats were hydraulic master and slave units, they had no provision for putting the front one in gear, must have been able to disengage and hold the clutches while doing that from outside but never did this. I made a unit that could shift front tractor gear lever from the rear one.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Tacho

Last edit: by wouldyou.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558