Skip to main content

554 international tractor

More
13 years 7 months ago #34224 by DJ
554 international tractor was created by DJ
i am trying to find out the spec's on a international 554, weight, years the were brought in australia, measurements etc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #34225 by kennymopar2
1974 + .. made in germany ..4 cyl neuss donk
weight around 2.5 ton 55hp
length 3.5metres

More
13 years 6 months ago #34226 by Slimline871
Do you mean the Aussie built 554?

&&1924 Hart-Parr Type 20&&1966 Chamberlain super 90&&1959 Twin City G-vi&amp

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34227 by
Replied by on topic Re: 554 international tractor
The Farmall 554, with the Neuss engine, that kennymopar has listed, is an American model that never came to Australia.

www.tractorshed.com/contents/tpic3363.htm

What we did have here, was the A-554 ("A" standing for Australian-built), and the A-564. The A-564 replaced the venerable A-554.
International often called the Australian tractors "Farmalls", but few owners bothered with describing them as Farmalls. They were always known just by their model numbers.
The original full name of the A-554, was the "McCormick-International A-554".

We imported very little by way of American IH farm tractors in the 1960's, because we had a highly successful IH tractor-building facility here, in the shape of the Geelong IH factory.
We exported Aussie-built IH tractors by the hundreds every year, to all over the Pacific, NZ, some parts of SE Asia, and South Africa.

A-564 discussion .. www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1277157683

Flickr pics of A-554's .. www.flickr.com/search/?q=international+a...t&referer_searched=1

The A-554 was built from 1961 to 1966 and was available with Petrol, Kero, and Diesel engine power plants. The Petrol engine model is extremely rare, as it wasn't popular and it was only built for 1 year.

The engine was a 4 cyl, 264 cu in motor, with designations of AD-264 for the diesel and AC-264 for the petrol or kero model.
The diesel was rated at 55HP, and the petrol & kero engines were rated at 48.5HP. Both ran at 1800RPM at full throttle. Later model kero engines produced 52HP.

Here is the original documentation between IH America and IH Australia, dated March 8, 1961, outlining the decision to produce the new model, and detailing its improved features. The A-554 replaced the venerable AW-7 model.

www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives...?pageurl=I549_01.gif

The A-554 would set you back the princely sum of A

More
13 years 6 months ago #34228 by atkipete
Thanks for the background Ron. Was that AD264 made at Geelong works, I came across it when writing the ACCO book and initially had it confused with the AGD264?

13 years 6 months ago #34229 by
Atkipete - Yes, it was a totally-Australian built engine .. but apparently, when initial production of the engine was cranking up, some components from the British BD-264 engine .. such as the crankshaft .. were used, until the engine-building dept came up to full speed.

Similarly, the early tractors also used a number of American components in the build, until Geelong was up to full speed on the production of every part.

The early AD-264 used a CAV in-line, fuel injection pump .. and the later models used the CAV rotary pump.

Rotary injection pumps are much cheaper to build and overhaul than inline pumps, but have a shorter lifespan between overhauls, due to the fact that on a rotary pump, all the injection is done by one main pump (plunger), whereas on an in-line pump, there is a plunger for each cylinder.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34230 by
OzFarm has come good on the specs I couldn't find .. despite the fact he said we didn't speak to him nicely enough. :)
I suspect it was because the "speaking nicely", didn't include a bottle of Bundy for his efforts at digging up the specs .. :D

Weight: 7,860 lbs [3565 kg]

Wheelbase: 76.5 inches [194 cm]

Length: 125 inches [317 cm]

Width: 78.75 inches [200 cm]

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34231 by
The construction of the IH factory in Geelong commenced in mid-1938, and it was completed by mid-1939. After only a few short months of IH equipment production, the commencement of WW2 on 3rd Sept 1939 saw the IH factory promptly turned over to military item production, under the auspices of the hurriedly formed War Production committees and govt organisations.

At the cessation of WW2, IH returned rapidly to full International equipment production from Geelong .. and on Jan 20th, 1947, IH Australia took out a full page ad in the SMH, proudly announcing their plan to commence a major expansion of the Geelong factory. The full text of the ad is as follows ..

TO BE MADE IN AUSTRALIA

FOR THE NATIONS AGRICULTURE & INDUSTRY .. the popular ..

McCORMICK-DEERING INTERNATIONAL TRACTORS and INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS

INTERNATIONAL Harvester is pleased to announce a big expansion programme costing A

More
13 years 6 months ago #34232 by atkipete
Those were the days, interesting that Australia could produce its own diesel engines in the 70s but we are now dependant on imports. I think they were looking at making the D358 Neuss here at that stage.

More
13 years 6 months ago #34233 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: 554 international tractor
at the risk of being shot down, I would like to add to JuanT's 554 facts.....
the 554 and 564 owners books list Petrol, kero and Diesel motors for both models, and my IH dealer mate always said the 564 rated at 64 HP was a souped up injector pump on the 554 54 hp. early 554 have inline injector pump of indifferent quality the later 554 and 564 have the better identical rotary pump so not sure where the extra HP taing comes from. I also understood the diesel engine was the same as the AWD 7 and earlier AWD 6.

the 554 had an external P/Steer pump and the 564 ran off the main pump and they changed the tin work and driver access for the 564.

I am a happy 564(A) owner there was a B model with dry cartridge air filter and slight change to the bonnet but it is not a B british tractor.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds