Skip to main content

Old department store communications

More
13 years 3 months ago #42232 by HeyCharger
Ok older generation (including me).
When I grew up, the department stores had a network of cables etc that allowed the various counters to send cash to a central raised accounting section. The girls up there would process the sale and send the appropriate change back down to the counter.
No I'm not talking about the vacuum system of pipes.
These were cables with screw on containers.
What was this system called and are there any photos around?
Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #42233 by Aussiehooker
HI ROD there is still one in working order in albury the tool store owner is ken goff who runs kentool a verry helpful man and would give you all the help and knowlage he has kentool is located in david street albury nsw opposite sodens hotel all the best don

More
13 years 3 months ago #42234 by Gwalter
The "Wing Hing Long Store" in Tingha NSW has a pulley system preserved. archive.amol.org.au/goldenthreads/stories/whl.asp

The Coolamon Up-to-Date Store has a "cash railway" preserved as well. coolamon.local-e.nsw.gov.au/files/9128/F...ilwaySystemSheet.pdf

13 years 3 months ago #42235 by
Very small Commercial Vehicles! :D

Found a website that should answer all your questions for these devices www.ids.u-net.com/cash/index.htm

Very interesting devices.

More
13 years 3 months ago #42236 by jimbo51
HeyCharger,

WL Ryan, the auto parts and equipment supplier that existed at the top of Elizabeth Street, Melbourne until about the 1990's had a wire system.

The cashiers were in a raised central area and each sales point around the periphery of the store had a wire to the cashiers.

Searched on-line for pictures without luck.

More
13 years 3 months ago #42237 by geoffb
Remember Ryans well they had a full Hupmobile diff on the wall there. Dad used to get the parts for the Villers/Howard rotary hoe there
Geoffb

More
13 years 3 months ago #42238 by Intermodel63
Coolamon "Up To Date Store" already mentioned can be seen working when open. My wife lived in Ungarie when she was a kid and talks about the store having a cable system in the 50's.

13 years 3 months ago #42239 by
Ryans was great loss to us blokes you could get bronze olives for doing your own brake lines and also quality tools .
I think Dimmey's in Ricmond also had one . Dave

More
13 years 3 months ago #42240 by HeyCharger
Thanks guys. That's what I was after.
Heard from a mate, that they used to put a live mouse into the "car" and whizz it up to the girls doing the cash. For some reason the girls were not impressed ;D

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
13 years 3 months ago #42241 by bparo
I remember Mum dragging me into a fabric shop on the south west corner of Church Street and Swan Street Richmond (vic) well into the late 1970's. The highlight was the man behind the counter letting us pull the cord to send the money up (sometimes it even made the distance ;))

I walked past the shop about 2 years ago and the system was still set up inside but was not in use. I could see computerised cash registers on the counter. In fact I dson't think it was a fabric shop any more either!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds