Skip to main content

Any Guesses

More
13 years 2 months ago #42567 by Daninmky
Any Guesses was created by Daninmky
Hi All
Just wondering if anyone can give me some background on the engine in the pics.
It came out of our 52ft Trawler and has done 3000hrs since complete rebuild. I was able to find a piece of paper from Cummins when my partner was working there and it showed the build year which said 1980. I think if I remember right it was 260hp but this is a guess. Unfortunatly the oldman lost the paperwork when we scrapped the boat due to age.
Does anyone know what it is and a rough guesstament on what it would be worth, I dont want to rip someone and really only want it gone for space and the hope that someone can use it so it doesnt go to waste. When you started the old girl it was a quick snap of the button and let go because she started everytime on the first throw. All the old fella's tell me it's a "plugger" but as all would know any engine that just chugged away all day was tagged this.

By daninmky at 2011-01-06

By daninmky at 2011-01-07

By daninmky at 2011-01-10

By daninmky at 2011-01-10

Dan ;)

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42568 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: Any Guesses
hi dan,
here's what i can tell by looking at your pics,

1/its an 855 cubic inch small cam non piston cooled block...so in automotive it would only be 250 hp,but in marine they squeezed a bit more....270/280 hp.
2/its got an early tapered nose crank which werent induction hardened so higher horsepower isnt possible.
3/as it sits probably its best assets are the late model mvs fuel pump and the water cooled exhaust manifold...the rest unfortunately is pretty much a 1960's core engine.
4/the water cooled exhaust will fit small cams and even big cams up to around 1986....hard to find in good nick but not a large market either so finding a buyer is a lottery.

hope that helps,

newto

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #42569 by
Replied by on topic Re: Any Guesses
Dan - Your best bet, will be trying to find a marine engine buyer. It's already set up as a boat engine, and someone with an old launch or cabin cruiser will be happy with it.

There's no demand for these engines in trucks, they are antiques. 250 HP in an engine this size is inadequate in a truck or even a bus/motorhome.

The small cam engines give trouble with cam followers .. breakage and short life, due to excesive wear .. that's the reason the big cam engines were produced.

No piston cooling means you can't turbocharge it .. the taper nose crank is HP limited, as Newto says .. so the engine has very limited demand.

If the worst comes to the worst, wreck it and sell off the good parts. The heads are always in demand and you will get $300 each for good heads.

As a guide, a recent auction saw a good 250 HP Cummins out of a truck, put up with a good 13 sp Roadranger buttoned to it.

The seller wanted $3000 for the pair .. the auctioneer couldn't get a bid even at $1500.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42570 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Any Guesses

Dan
No piston cooling means you can't turbocharge it .. the taper nose crank is HP limited, as Newto says .. so the engine has very limited demand.

Ron, I think Chocs would have a difference of oppinion mate, a 250 with a turbo is called a 270.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #42571 by
Replied by on topic Re: Any Guesses
Cam - If Chocs engine has a turbo, it would have to have oil-jet cooled pistons. Whacking a turbo on, without oil cooled pistons, is asking for melted pistons.

What I'm saying is that Dans engine with it's current pistons, can't be turbocharged without serious piston damage very shortly down the line.

There's nothing stopping anyone from fitting oil jets and turbo pistons, if they wanted to turbo it .. but as it stands, turbocharging it would be a recipe for a very short life.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #42572 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Any Guesses
Thanks for the reply gents, thanks newto it gives me some info to let someone know when they ask.
Thanks Onetrak as usual always interesting read.

I was thinking if it goes for $600 its a bonus as its pretty old and is only good for a weekender vessel, other than that maybe a farm engine for something but definatly not vehicles etc but will see if anyone takes it for 600 then look at stripping if not.

Again thanks for the replys.
;)

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Daninmky.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42573 by bigcam
Ron, the 270 is a 250 with a turbo, that's as much HP that they can get out of them with out the oil jets on the pistons.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42574 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Any Guesses
G'day, My D Reo has a Cummins 290 which I thought was a Turbo'ed 250, which Cam says is a 270. So where does a 290 fit in the model line-up.
Geoff

More
13 years 2 months ago #42575 by bigcam
Geoff a 290 has oil cooled pistons, I don't know about the other differences. I had a 250 a few years ago that was cactus, when I was looking for another motor and parts, this was when I was told about the differences.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42576 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: Any Guesses

Ron, the 270 is a 250 with a turbo, that's as much HP that they can get out of them with out the oil jets on the pistons.

not necessarily so BC.
the original 250's werent piston cooled and had taper nose cranks...the the 270's were straight nose cranks and the "power torque" models as fitted to blue circles k/w's were piston cooled so could be opened up to 335hp without an aftercooler.
dont get sucked in by horsepower ratings....the ntc-230's that IH fitted to T and S lines were piston cooled and straight nose cranks and some even had FFC cooling which meant at rebuild time if you added an aftercooler you could go all the way to 400 hp.
hope this clears up some unknown facts,
cheers,
newto

Time to create page: 0.688 seconds