Skip to main content

1948 Astor

More
14 years 10 months ago #8324 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: 1948 Astor
If you struggle, Dave, let me know and I'll ask my brother-in-law. He knows about these electronic gizmo things.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #8325 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: 1948 Astor
Dave
You can buy valves from Preston Electronic Components. They are located at 172-174 High Street, Preston. Phone 03 9484 0191

www.pecparts.com/valvesatpec.html

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago #8326 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1948 Astor
Thanks Graham and Sarge, iwill get in touch with these people and give a whirl and try not to bugger it up or Andy's b/law might hearing from me. Dave ;D ;D

More
14 years 9 months ago #8327 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: 1948 Astor

Dave try RAPAR they were up the top end of Spencer street Melb last time I looked, all they used to do was stock radio parts.

Sarge :-X

hey sarge
i thought you had wrote ( RADAR) for a second. :o
but i do not think that daves truck would have to many hassels with them kinda things :P ;D

More
14 years 9 months ago #8328 by Mr Truth
Replied by Mr Truth on topic Re: 1948 Astor

Dave
You can buy valves from Preston Electronic Components. They are located at 172-174 High Street, Preston. Phone 03 9484 0191

www.pecparts.com/valvesatpec.html

I just wanted to warn people that PEC can be less than honest in their pricing and representations of what they sell. I ordered a soldering station from them and it turns out that they have simply bought one from DSE (D*ck Smith Electronic)s, and marked it and any spares up by 100%. Darren from PEC had also placed a hand written "warranty void if removed" sticker over the DSE name and part number on the faceplate.

Now I do understand that "buyer beware" applies here, but it was hard for me to make an informed decision due to information that Darren conveniently omitted to his benefit and other people's detriment.

More
14 years 9 months ago #8329 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: 1948 Astor
Thats a bummer - out of curiosity what DSE iron did they sell you at 100% markup, and why would you buy a soldering iron without checking prices from other suppliers?

I have been in the electronics industry for over 35 years and if you believe that you have been ripped off , go to consumer affairs and take action.

Good luck

More
14 years 9 months ago #8330 by Mr Truth
Replied by Mr Truth on topic Re: 1948 Astor
It's listed by DSE as a T-2200, which they sell for ~$99, but PEC charge $199. Spare tips are ~$10 at DSE, and PEC charge ~$20 for them.

I did quickly check to see if the soldering station was available elsewhere, but PEC don't actually say that it's a DSE iron. They list the model number as DS-2200. It's obvious to me now of course what the DS stands for...

Anyway, you're right - I should have researched more thoroughly. One of the traps of buying something I didn't check out in person. As for your other point, AFAIK I don't believe being overcharged is grounds for taking action under the Trade Practices Act. I also have no idea whether the omission of the manufacturer details is of any use in making a case. Regardless, the sum of money involved makes it hardly worthwhile to pursue.

More
14 years 9 months ago #8331 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: 1948 Astor
Everyone in bussiness has a right to make a profit ,no point in doing it otherwise ,but that sounds a bit too rude. ian.

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds