Skip to main content

Differences between AR 160/AS 160

• Tracttap
  • Topic Author
7 years 4 months ago #176310 by Tracttap
Differences between AR 160/AS 160 was created by Tracttap
Hi all, don't know anything bout these trucks. Years made, carrying capacity, engine sizes and other differences.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #176317 by Mairjimmy
The top one is a AR160 around 1953 to the AS about 1955 and the second is a AS160 1955 to 1957, theses dates are APPROX

Some AR had a split windscreen like the photo and some one piece like the AS, very similar other than the front and most likely 281 or 282 motors and 4 speed box and some would have 2 speed diff

Both trucks would be the same capacities weight wise and engine

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
7 years 4 months ago #176318 by atkipete
Similar trucks. The AS series moved up the scale by adding a AS180 model and the Perkins diesel R6 as an option.

More
7 years 4 months ago #176328 by bparo
This is a 1955 AR162. The single windscreen cab came out mid 1955 and carried on into the AS Series.

The main difference between the AL and the AR was the grill and bonnet. Mechanically the didn't change. They used the 6 cylinder Silver Diamond motor in 220 cubic inch or 240 cubic inch sizes. They had a bad habit of dropping valves so a swap to a later 281 is fairly common in all sizes.
I have been told both that the AS series had a new motor and that it came out with the same one's initially but got new motors mid-lifecycle. The last AS160 series ended up with a 264 cubic inch motor by the end of it's run.

The AR110 had a 3 speed column shift while the bigger trucks have a 4 speed gearbox (with a 2 speed diff option in the 160 series)

The badges say series and the same badge appears and while the cabwork and panels stay the same the mechanical options and load ratings change (eg there is a 160, 161 and 162 all wearing the AR160 series badge. the 162 has a 2- speed diff and 8.25 tyres. the 161 has 8.25 tyres and the 160 had 7.25 tyres when they left the factory which give different payload ratings on the same chassis of around 4, 5 and 6 tons (they may have also had different diff ratios and springsbut I need to dig out the books to check). Of course when it came time for new tyres the 160 often had the 8.25 tyres fitted to give them a bit more road speed.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #176334 by atkipete
I had to dig out a book here ( my own) to look for info. The Australian Silver Diamond Engine ( ASD) became the Australian Blue Diamond or Australian Black Diamond ( ABD) around this time and grew from 240 to 264 and finally 282 cubic inches but it is essentially the same engine.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds