Skip to main content

Help replacing damaged wooden floor in '68 Bedford Comair Bus

• Sarah
  • Topic Author
7 years 2 months ago #179404 by Sarah
Hi all,

I bought a 1968 Bedford Bus recently and need to remove/replace a section of the wooden floor (I removed the tiles) due to water damage. I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to do it and what to replace it with?

I assumed there would be a metal sub floor but it turns out under the tiles was just wooden floor.

Thanks in advance
Sarah

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179410 by PDU
Plywood vs Yellow tongue particle board :dry:

Plywood is lightweight and has a better strength-to-weight ratio than steel (apparently :unsure:) and is able to handle construction knocks without damage. It is more stable than solid wood when subjected to moisture changes - though it can deteriorate with long exposure to the weather - and can carry high structural loads.

Particleboard, on the other hand, is more cost effective, more durable in protected environments - though can swell after being exposed to rain - and is more suited to residential than industrial use.
Yellow tongue 19mm thick/red tongue 22mm/ blue tongue 25mm!!

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179416 by jon_d
Sarah,

Don't use particle board or yellow tongue.

It's extremely heavy and not structural. Screws will move as the bus flexes a little.
(I reckon mine expands (widens/narrows) about 1cm between a hot and cold day.

Plus if you're building a motor-home you've got to minimise weight where ever you can.

The only choice is ply. A BC grade will be suitable. Shop around because there are some good deals to be had.

My '72 Comair has a watertight paper coating underneath and after 45 years it's still good.

Just a word of caution, the vinyl tiles most likely have asbestos in them. There are some recommended ways to remove them with out breaking them up.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by jon_d.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179451 by hayseed
Sarah, I'd use Marine Plywood. It'll be more expensive but it will handle the Moisture far better than anything Else. (In My opinion)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 2 months ago #179455 by atkipete
Are tiles a good idea in a motor home ? They have to be on a really solid base to avoid cracking.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179467 by Blackduck59
Marine ply would be top on the water resistant list, form ply would be next.
I would coat the underside before installing with a good water proofing sealer. If there is a chance of water from the inside do the topside as well.
Have a 5th wheeler and the Yanks used a form of chip board for the floor, does not play well with water. Been busy resealing all the windows as the original installers did a pretty shoddy job and had water enter the unit. Got lucky and the floor did not suffer a lot of damage.
Floor has been recovered with Pegulan Vinyl ( lino )
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 2 months ago #179468 by asw120

atkipete wrote: Are tiles a good idea in a motor home ? They have to be on a really solid base to avoid cracking.

I was assuming (as, I think jon D before me) that they were lino tiles. (which the old ones certainly do have asbestos in them - some of the older buildings on my run have them)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 2 months ago #179471 by busman
If you are tempted to use Bunnings tiles with adhesive backing--- don't !

Last week we completed removing ours after they let go in the heat, what a shite of a job that was. Loose laid a nice thick commercial vinyl, looks and feels way better.
BTW we used form ply straight over the original, to get rid of the centre aisle.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179662 by brisbeddy
Hi,
I would go Formply and seal any cut Bits.
Cheers
Dieter

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds