Skip to main content

Increase speed AR 160

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
7 years 2 months ago #179748 by Anonymous
Increase speed AR 160 was created by Anonymous
Took my International AR160 for its first run since restoration and found top speed is around 70 Kms/hour. Any faster and the motor is revving too hard. Has 2 speed diff fitted. What is easiest solution....Change crownwheel and pinion, fit overdrive joey box into tailshaft [plenty of room to do this] or are there any other options. Would like to get at least 90 kph if possible. Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 2 months ago #179749 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Increase speed AR 160
AnoyMouse
Gudday M8

U can try different ways to grab a k or 2
but just cut to the chase
n fit a joey box arse bout to give U sum tall gears
If n the donk can propel it @ a faster speed
Guessn it could B a handful try n to contol it @ break neck speed
as it waz designed to do bout 80kph

BestOLuckO

YourWelcum

cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 2 months ago #179757 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Increase speed AR 160
One of our club members has an AR162 and it cruises at 90ks. Is your diff in high ? What size tyres have you got ?

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
7 years 2 months ago #179767 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Increase speed AR 160
I am finding it almost impossible to use this forum. I have to spend a lot of time just blundering around until I eventually stumble onto where to put on a message and although I use my name it comes up as anonamous and shows me as a non member. I have been involved in other forums and had no difficulty whatsoever. I want to reply to an answer I got to my original post but cannot find how to do it......the other forum I have been involved with had a 'reply' to click onto if you wanted to. In answer to the reply to my original post...The diff is definitely in Hi range and the tyre size is 825x20 and at 90 kms/hr the engine would just about fly to pieces at the revs needed. Maybe I am just too old for this modern technology Thanks for replies so far

More
7 years 2 months ago #179775 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Increase speed AR 160
Is that me you are referring to Atkipete?

Anonymous what are you referring to as too hard? What motor are you running? They get a nice hum up when on song which is the 80-90 Kmh range but it is loud if used to a car or modern truck. They will run All day at 3000 rpm.

When I was running the ASD240 it would sit at 85-90 Kmh on the flat but noticed every slight rise in the road. The 281 seems happier at 80 - 85 but doesn't feel all the rises so the actual travel time doesn't change much.

With either motor the low diff ratio ran you out of revs at around 60 -65 Kmh. So if the motor is revving hard then maybe t isn't changing. However before you panic about that what size tyres are you running. Mine are 8.25 .

I have a water pump and some other bolt on bits for a silver diamond motor if you are interested. I want something for them but not gold plated prices

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 2 months ago #179776 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Increase speed AR 160
Mate, you need to be a registered forum & logged on to be able to post on any part of the Forum Except the Public post section..

if you wish to join the Forum, click on the "Register/ New member" tab on the RHS of the page..
if You're already a Forum Member & having trouble logging On? Click on the "Existing member Help" tab immediately below that...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 2 months ago #179780 by atkipete
That's your lorry Bruce.

More
7 years 1 month ago #179999 by cliffo
Replied by cliffo on topic Increase speed AR 160
Finally got the forum worked out. I drove the AR and AS Inters when they were new so have a fair idea when they are reving too hard. Will have to look at altering the diff ratio as the 2 speed diff I put under it possibly came out of a truck with overdrive gearbox....something I did not check at the time

More
7 years 1 month ago #180011 by atkipete
Have you checked speed with a GPS, speedo may not be accurate. ?

More
7 years 1 month ago #180038 by cliffo
Replied by cliffo on topic Increase speed AR 160
Checked against 2 seperate fairly new cars

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds