Skip to main content

Re-power D5N 300

More
7 years 1 week ago #181324 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re-power D5N 300
I don't want to call BS on the memories of you old boys but pushing anything like a big Dodge or Ford to 100mph would need about 1000hp in real terms, I have also heard the BS tale about some mythical K100 KW that could do 125mph across the paddock, I'm sure that there is a "Tall stories" section here somewhere that would be better filled with this BS than the "real life" section of the forum.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 week ago #181325 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Re-power D5N 300
Maybe 1000 HP with a petrol but half that with a Diesel.
One of our trucks was an Inter 230D (Westcoaster?) 250 HP Cummins that would hit 70 MPH easily. Geared way to high for it's usual use.

Sorry could not resist!
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 1 week ago #181330 by Coloze
Replied by Coloze on topic Re-power D5N 300
Hadn't considered diff ratio, thanks for mentioning, must check to see what's in mine, hope reasonable easy to determine. :) .

More
7 years 1 week ago #181331 by Coloze
I put it down to incorrect speedo, took me a while to pull fingers out of seat. :lol:

More
7 years 1 week ago #181332 by Coloze
Thanks again, just added wheel size to my 'to check need to know' list :) very good input of suggestions, way more than expected :)

More
7 years 1 week ago #181333 by Coloze
7.50 16 six stud wheels, split rim, keen to replace, not only rust issue with two rims but looking to have better quality.

More
7 years 1 week ago #181347 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re-power D5N 300

600Dodge wrote: I don't want to call BS on the memories of you old boys but pushing anything like a big Dodge or Ford to 100mph would need about 1000hp in real terms, I have also heard the BS tale about some mythical K100 KW that could do 125mph across the paddock, I'm sure that there is a "Tall stories" section here somewhere that would be better filled with this BS than the "real life" section of the forum.

600Dodge, My comment "Must have been one of the slow ones", was tongue in cheek.

More
7 years 1 week ago #181351 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re-power D5N 300
Yeah mate I knew that, but some of the BS Ive heard about truck speeds over the years makes me laugh, I did some work on a Western Star a few years back for a bloke who wanted to make it FAST, after engine tuning and diff ratio changes( which got him 133kph on the flat) he wasnt happy enough, he wanted 160, I had to get all technical with him and try to explain to a seriously drug affected, pre school educated fool about exponential curves and how getting to 160 required more than double the hp, it still makes me laugh but these days when I hear the obvious BS I just nod me noggin and say "or yeah"

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #181361 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re-power D5N 300
Coloze have you considered just putting the body from your 300 Dodge on a late model chassis say from a Isuzu or Hino
The late model Jap trucks go a lot better stop a lot better and use a lot less fuel and drive like a car not a yacht and do it all a lot better than any of these old Dodges ever did

Maybe check the auction sites like Fowles or Pickels and the like for damaged trucks and you might something with all the bits and pieces you need and put your cab on top

I reckon even the engineering tickets would be a lot easier to get the ok with and parts are gunna be easier to get for long time as well

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
7 years 1 week ago #181369 by Coloze
Paul there's something 'appealing' about that, has it been done, would very much like to know.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds