Skip to main content

Re-power D5N 300

• Anonymous
7 years 2 weeks ago #181432 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Re-power D5N 300
As a young-ish hot rodder, one of my other cars is a 52 Ford pickup, set up to drive as a powerful, comfy car......built for purpose.
My current AT4 329 I specifically sought out to haul 2 tons of chemical for my new business.......suitable for purpose.

I've finally been able to drive my new Dodge around the last few days - Slant 6 is fine....but I do have a 2bbl manifold and 350 Holley for it that I hope will let it breathe a little more deeply once she's up and going.

Top speed - 100 kays to stay up to modern traffic - seems to be most limited by;
- Diff ratio
- wobble
- bounce
- lack of brakes

While I'm hoping my new tyres, good used steering box, a check of the cab mounts, and maybe a birthday for the driveshaft will cure most of the wobble and bounce, it would nee something more to be "well mannered" as a modern daily driver.
After the last 5 years driving a new Falcon, I can tell you.......modern gear box turns a taxi motor into a fire breathing race engine.

Don't need to change the Dodge diff ratio......just get an O/D gear box to get that extra 10-15 kmh on top end, while keeping that stump pulling take off traction.

You could use a Dellow conversion to add a Toyota 5 speed manual, probably cost you approx. $2k by the time you rig up a hand brake arrangement.

Since Mopar O/D autos are not too common (although modern Jeep stuff might bolt up ???), this leaves us looking at Ford or GM auto boxes....

If going that way, a 10 year old Statesman donor car can be had for under $2k, and will give LS1 5.7L, 4 speed O/D auto, and plenty of spares to sell off too!!

With my Ford preference, I'm having visions of an NC Fairlaine 4 speed auto bolted to one of my spare 351Cs, just in case.

Ofcourse, if money was no object, there are plenty of crashed Chrysler 300C 6.4 Hemi's getting written off around the place... :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #181437 by Coloze
Replied by Coloze on topic Re-power D5N 300
Anonymous thanks for posting, very interesting, would like to make contact, keen to know how well pending improvements turn out on dodge, among other things.
Col
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Coloze. Reason: spelling

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #181439 by AB120
Replied by AB120 on topic Re-power D5N 300
I just got the 4.1 cleaned and set up so i am reluctant to put the 3.5 in just now without trying it as you suggest . I have brought a new 3.5 but I have 7.50 x 16 on Dodge 8 stud pressed rims. I did have same tyres on split 6 stud inter rims. i want to tow a 20'van so i will have to wait and see. Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Graham

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds