Skip to main content

Morris Commercial LC3 build year?

• Bec
  • Topic Author
6 years 5 months ago #187880 by Bec
Hi there! Is anyone able to help me to find the build year for my friends recently purchased project?

I have a photo I can share with you of ID plate on the firewall with chassis and engine number if needed?

Morris Commercial LC3
Chassis Number LC3 10634
Engine Number 15018

Thanks heaps!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Bec
  • Topic Author
6 years 5 months ago #187922 by Bec
Replied by Bec on topic Morris Commercial LC3 build year?
Anyone able to help?

More
6 years 5 months ago #188028 by Morris
Hello Bec,
As a Morris Commercial enthusiast for 37 years, the only build details I have been able to find on LC3 are two books published by Harry Edwards, Historian of the Morris Register of Great Britain until he passed away some years ago.

All he wrote was that the LC3 was built from August 1949 to May 1952.

regards,
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 5 months ago #188039 by Sarge
Hi Bec, there have been similar questions about other truck in the past and the advice given was to check for date codes on windscreens and other parts.... have a search on here and you will find how to read what looks like an innocent makers branding.... there are some, but I think Morris is our resident expert, who can narrow the time line down if they can see the vehicle in question, so some photographs may help.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188062 by Southbound
And being made in England it will be fitted with Lucas electrics. The starter motor and generator will have the date they were made stamped into them. :blink:

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188084 by Morris
Sarge's suggestion of photos is a good one for many vehicles but the LC3 did not change during it's few years of manufacture, so the are all the same. The glass maker's code is a good one but the code is complicated, involving the position of dots in relation to letters and logos. The way to work it out has been on this forum in the past but I have no idea how to find it.

Southbound's idea of checking the date on the starter and generator should give you a clue but remember that the vehicles were only made for two and a half years, so, allowing for delays with parts in storage, older production being mixed up with newer, etc. I do not believe it is possible to accurately date the truck with any degree of certainty. Most people just call them all a 1950 model.

Keep on with restoring a very popular, and once common, little truck. They will cruise along at a reasonable pace all day, cost no more to run than a large car, and are reasonably easy to get in and out of. My favourite part of them is the very "1920's" sounding exhaust.

Remember, they are nearly 70 years old and have a 15.9 (English rated) horsepower four cylinder engine and drum brakes, so they will never do 100 kilometres an hour and will not "Stop on a dime" as the Americans say. Drive it as it was designed to be driven and it will get you anywhere you want to go in reasonable comfort.

If you expect to do 100, smoke the tyres and skid to a stop, all while making a turbocharger scream, sell the Morris and buy an American V8.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 5 months ago #188101 by JOHN.K.
My old man called them"canardlies",when we got stuck behind one,his face would turn purple,and he d froth at the mouth. 30mph top speed,down to first gear soon as the road sloped upward.And always driven on the crown of the road,so none could get past.The good old days.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188152 by Sarge
I was having a sit about at the quacks :sick: when I spied the latest edition of the Vintage Trucks and Commercial Vehicles Mag.... so I had a gander I do believe in my poorly state it had an extensive article on a Morris LC3.... but I was a bit butchers at the time.... :sick: :sick:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188158 by grandad
Triplex Window Date Code Decoding

If you know the decade your car was produced, you can find the last digit of the year by looking for two dots in the TRIPLEX logo on the glass.

One dot above T, R, E, or X gives the quarter of the year the glass was manufactured:

T is Jan, Feb, March,
R is April, May, June,
E is July Aug, Sept, and
X stands for Oct, Nov, Dec.
To find the year the glass was manufactured, look at the nine letters in the word TOUGHENED.
One dot below a letter gives the year of the decade:

T is 1,
O is 2,
U is 3,
G is 4,
H is 5,
E is 6,
N is 7,
E is 8,
D is 9
If there is no dot, the year is a zero.

This code also works if you have a TRIPLEX window with the word LAMINATED instead of TOUGHENED.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188161 by hayseed
Sarge, you really must've been Crook...

A Doctors waiting room with a Current Magazine in It.... C'mon Now...!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds