Dv 550 unsure hp spec
Allison mt653 auto 5.29 diff
Owned nearly 20 years
Still using it regularly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188657 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic ACCO1950B DV550
Would this be the motor that idles on four cylinders?Havent seen one in 30 years.About 170hp from memory.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188664 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic ACCO1950B DV550

JOHN.K. wrote: Would this be the motor that idles on four cylinders?Havent seen one in 30 years.About 170hp from memory.

I think you may find thats the DV 800 300 hp

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 4 months ago #188673 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic ACCO1950B DV550
Actually that was the Neuss engine ... not sure on model

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
6 years 4 months ago #188675 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic ACCO1950B DV550
The early DV550 idled on 4 cylinders, the later model also on 4 cylinders but a different set of 4 cylinders. Had swirl destroyers in the intake tracts to help with this.
Other option for a 1950 would have been the Cummins 555. so HP would have been similar.
Believe they did better in tractors than as an on road engine.
Cheers Steve

More
6 years 4 months ago #188679 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic ACCO1950B DV550
Neuss referred to the IH plant in Germany ( town called Neuss on Rhine). As I understand various IH engines were built there but similar engines could have been built at other IH plants.
Can anyone clarify this?

More
6 years 4 months ago #188682 by JOHN.K.
IH bought the old Jumbo factory in Neuss,a suburb of Hamburg.They made tractors there ,excellent tractors but very complex compared to any Inter tractor before,and they often ended up in pieces,farmers not used to such things.As I recall ,the Neuss truck motors had a very poor reputation,the sixes because of a pressed tin oil pickup that used to break and seize the motor.The first ones also had problems with the Bosch VE/VF rotary pumps wearing out rapidly.The V8s had a poor reputation too,the rough idle didnt help,Ive seen lots of them put into scrapbins early on.Be a very rare motor today,I would think.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188683 by JOHN.K.
A lot of people called them 'Noyes" motors and reckoned they were made by Noyes Bros,the Volvo agents in those days.Bit of an insult,as the early Volvo motors ran rings round anything Inter ever put out.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188688 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic ACCO1950B DV550
dunno about the 6 cylinders been duds, they have always had a very good reputation among farmers I have been around both in acco's and tractors
I have a 6 cylinder thats done 8500 - 9000 hours and still runs like a clock
The V 8's reputation wasnt as good but not as bad as the tripple trouble Cummins
There was and would say still is good supply of second hand trucks going out to farms once they were traded in the bigger cities so its not as if the Neuss motors were brand new to farmers in trucks

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #188695 by JOHN.K.
The 6 s were good motors,with a few problem bits.If the oil pickup was fixed,that solved the seizure problem.They were reckoned to have better lugging ability in the bogie drives than a Perkins.The Factory went in 1980s to Case in settlement of the chapter 11 .The Blue Star motor was made there ,and was an excellent motor.Fitted to the 1950C
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.544 seconds