Skip to main content

International Acco engine/ gearbox combination

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
6 years 3 months ago #189364 by Anonymous
We have an 1830A that had a neuss engine and a 5 speed eaton synchromesh gearbox. We have just bought a 1830D with a 210 perkins phaser engine with a 9 speed road ranger gearbox, non synchro. We also have an Alison NT653 that was behind a Navistar DT-468.

This is for my wife's horse truck, which i need to get back on the road. My wife does not like the idea of the road ranger gearbox. The phaser is the engine of choice, as the DT is too big for the truck. Ideally we would put the Alison behind the Perkins. Is this possible, are the correct parts available, would the phaser have enough power for the auto? Is there another gearbox we can look for with overdrive and synchro's as the truck with the phaser has much better road speed than the original horse truck with the neuss. I suspect it has a really low diff.

On a side note, all left over parts will be for sale.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #189374 by JOHN.K.
Fitting the MT653 to a Perk will require costly new parts,as the trans is more suited to a larger motor, ie..DT466....I suggest you teach the little lady to drive the roadranger............Anyhoo,the chance of a s/h Allison being anything other than a costly anchor is slim.You will discover the 10,000 different ways an Allison can break down.

More
6 years 3 months ago #189376 by atkipete
I reckon the Allison autos are good, based on what they put up with in garbage and agitator trucks. However a five speed auto is not going to perform as well as a nine speed roadranger, particularly in hilly country. The roadranger might be overdrive in top gear giving you more roadspeed. Not sure how you know this if it is a 'factory' overdrive.
The roadranger is not that hard to learn, as long as the gear selection and throttle linkage are fairly positive. I have done plenty of crunching in them but never broken one.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #189378 by busman
Teach her the RR, eventually she will thank you for it.
When VP was first registered I used to be out at 4 every Sunday morn, learning how to crunch 'em. ( with not to many listening)
Then I twigged that if I picked a rev point (1500 in this case) and wrote down the speed in each gear in texta on the windscreen, it should be ok downshifting if the speed was somewhere around the set point and the revs were flicked up to around 1500. Worked a treat, the texta has long disappeared, now is automatic.
Found on both the 6 and seven speed, you don't have to match to the exact rev, a few either way and it will still slip in without protest.
It's all confidence, once you master those first few changes you wonder what you were worried about.
Far easier than doing engine or gearbox swaps, and as stated above, going to give you much better driveability on the hills.
Just going from a 6 speed to a 7 speed in VP was a revelation.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by busman.

More
6 years 3 months ago #189379 by Blackduck59
With the RR guessing if it is overdrive 4th and 5th will opposite positions with a weird shift from third to 4th.
Hear the bit about learning to shift an RR, have not driven one since the 70's and now have one in my F350.
Cheers Steve

More
6 years 3 months ago #189384 by JOHN.K.
An OD tranny will have RTO on the ID plate,a std will have RT on the plate.And the change positions will be back to back........................You should be aware that a 9speed may have a crawler as Ist,which you do not go back in to in the lo-hi change...This gives the 9 speeds..........8 + 1(low). In other words you only use four gear positions on the move.Any attempt to change into Ist posn in hi range will damage the box,and/ or tear the centre from the clutch plate........................a RR is easy to drive,once you learn not to touch the clutch pedal after moving off.

More
6 years 3 months ago #189396 by atkipete
Does a "factory' overdrive 9 speed have the back to front pattern ? I have driven an 18 speed that was overdrive in top gear (apparently) but no wining noise and normal shift pattern.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #189397 by JOHN.K.
Anon hasnt actually said what kind of "roadranger" he has.Eaton Fuller used to market a couple of crappy single countershaft euro gearboxes in the 80s,which they called "roadrangers".They were cheap synchro 9speeds that were nothing but trouble.So,what box does he have.......The correct twin countershaft box for a Perk would be a 609,a pretty rare box.The common box on a Perk would be a 610.......On the smaller T/C boxes ,you cant just swap the gears around to get an OD,you have (had) to buy a kit with 6 gears in it and other bits,and it wernt cheap.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by JOHN.K..

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
6 years 3 months ago #189413 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic International Acco engine/ gearbox combination
Hi thanks for the replies.

Following your advice, we are going to use the road ranger, one of the concerns is if someone else needs to drive the truck at some stage, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I don't actually drive said trucks so the wife has gone about teaching her self the brutal art of changing/removing gears from said road ranger!! The shift pattern is a bit strange as third and fourth are next to each other towards the windscreen. It is a linkage throttle and unbelievably hard to push down. The horse truck that this motor gearbox combo is going into has a cable throttle that should fix that. I was told you can get a cable shift kit for the gearbox to replace the rod/ linkage is this true and where would we find such item.

Thanks for your help looking forward to getting the old girl back on the road should go much better. Will have a look on weekend to see if it is an overdrive or the doner truck has taller gearing it is a lot quicker than the horse truck.

More
6 years 3 months ago #189418 by Blackduck59
With third and fourth alongside each other I would say overdrive. 4th is direct with 5th overdrive. The same as my RTO 610.
Those Acco shift linkages were not too bad if you get all the excess play out of them
Cheers Steve

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.529 seconds