Skip to main content

Looking for pics - Godfrey Hirst

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
6 years 3 months ago #189997 by Anonymous
Looking for pics - Godfrey Hirst was created by Anonymous
Hi
This is a really long shot but I am looking for some very specific truck pics for my Dad.

In the mid 1970's he drove interstate for Godfrey Hirst Carpets in South Geelong. Geelong - Sydney, Geelong - Brisbane. They had a small fleet (5 I think) of single drive F86 Volvos with bogie trailers. I think they were preceded by some cab over Bedfords with single drive / single axle trailers (Carpets are basically a volume load) but not completely sure.

The fleet was bought to take carpet from the Godfrey Hirst factory in South Geelong to the companies distribution centers in Sydney and Brisbane. They had some kind of deal with Abood's in Northmead for Sydney backloads and I think visited that yard fairly regularly.

The fleet was sold off around 1977 or 78 and the work went to contractors but I think one of the F86's hung around Geelong in Godfrey Hirst colors for the next 10 or so years as a kind of glorified yard mule moving contractor's trailers between Godfrey Hirst's different locations.

I am not a member here so not sure how to see replies but my email is peter.from.aus@gmail.com. Anything anyone has of the fleet would be really appreciated. He's not a young man anymore (the pics I am looking for are from 40 years ago after all) and the pics might trigger a happy memory or two.

Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds