Skip to main content

Single person cab truck help

More
5 years 9 months ago #194397 by Gryphon
Hi,

this has come in via an email....

Dear Sir,

I would like you ask your organisation for help in getting some info about a particular kind of truck. I don't know its name, maker or any other such information. It was a single tray on a rigid chassis and would be a medium sized vehicle by today's standards. Its outstanding characteristic was a cab that could only take the driver, no passengers. The tray extended to either side of the cab, the idea being to allow the carriage of longer lengths of some kinds of loads. Family legend has it that it was designed by my uncle and another man while working for an unknown company. He was a truck body builder by trade.

Unfortunately, I didn't enquire about details at the time and my uncle has since died. These vehicles fell out of use decades ago. I'd like to get as much information as possible to see whether the family legend is based in fact.

Thank you,

Mark Gilligan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194398 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Single person cab truck help
I think if Mark gave you a rough date period we could come up with photos of similar vehicles.

Saw one the other day but on an 8 wheeler chassis.

lang

More
5 years 9 months ago #194399 by Blackduck59
Along with a time frame an area would help. Had these back in the mid 70's when I worked for Inters in Perth.
Knew them as Island Cabs.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194400 by xspanrman
I remember Brighton's of Sydney ( I think the suburb of Carlton) built this island cab trucks that were referred to as long toms. I remember they some had International chassis and Brighton's made the cab and bodies. Used a lot for long steel and timber deliveries

More
5 years 9 months ago #194405 by JOHN.K.
I knew a guy had several of these delivering steel ......his were originally AECs,but had been updated several times,as by the mid 80s,the conversions were banned,and no new ones were to be registered......mainly due to the steering alterations necessary.......He also said BHP wouldnt employ old trucks,but with the island cabs ,they didnt know how old a truck was.Wally Carpenter turned a couple of new Isuzu s into half cabs about 10 years ago,I still see one around regularly.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194408 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Single person cab truck help
here is a 1965 Albion.

Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #194413 by Mrsmackpaul
I have always called these "island cabs", dunno if thats the proper name or not but most makes had them years ago
I'm guessing a body builder built them

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Mark Gilligan
5 years 9 months ago #194415 by Mark Gilligan
Replied by Mark Gilligan on topic Single person cab truck help
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm afraid I have no details as my uncle has passed away and I don't think his family knows much. However, when I next speak with my aunt, I'll ask. Again, many thanks for your contributions.

More
5 years 8 months ago #194720 by xspanrman
Photo by Jay Case FB . bogie International worked for Boral.
Southern Steel Supplies in Fairy Meadow had a similar looking International island cab and was painted green.
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #194722 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Single person cab truck help
They have been around for ages, all over the country. I doubt that anyone can claim to have invented them or even being the first to build one. I always knew them as "Long Toms" and was told the correct name was "Island Cab." They were built on a large range of trucks, some looking factory built and others looking as though somebody had hacked them off with an axe.

They were used to carry long lengths of steel or timber, even logs, and are still factory built for crane carriers. Most of the crane carriers have the cab offset to one side, rather than in the centre.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds