Skip to main content

Austin Truck, to be or not to be?

More
5 years 2 months ago #198408 by Gryphon
received via email.....

I have recently seen a Austin truck for sale and was considering buying it, I have done a bit of searching on the internet and don’t seem to find anywhere that sells parts for it? Mali g me believe it might be more hassle than it is worth.

The guy has told me that it has t been started in over 10years and that the body needs some love but it is salvageable, I plan on having a look first, but was wondering if it’s even worth it. The model of the truck is a 580N

Thank you very much for your time,

Rob Sharpless

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #198482 by Morris
Hello Rob,
The 580N is from the 1970's and could be badged Austin, BMC or Leyland. It is (I think) the largest of the series and would have the 6 cylinder, 4 litre petrol motor. Motor parts and many other parts are common to a range of trucks with the above badges, plus Morris. Mechanical parts are still available from places specializing in older vehicles but not from speed shops or hot rodder suppliers. If there is not too much rust in the sheet metal, or if you can fix it yourself (or afford to pay to have it done) it could well be worth restoring. It will only be capable of about 65 to 75 KPH and not suitable for major modifications to make it go faster.

They are a very rare truck these days. It mainly depends on the amount of work necessary and your budget or ability.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 1 month ago #198500 by ray
I had a 580N years ago. It had a 6 cylinder 6-98 diesel, 5 speed box and 2 speed diff vacuum operated. It was very economical. What I was told by Leyland was that the 580 was an amalgamation of Austin cab and Leyland Boxer mechanicals. Having worked on these engines during my apprenticeship I would advise keeping the revs just below the governor, I screwed mine back about 150 revs and never had a moments trouble.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds