Skip to main content

Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse

• Stephen
  • Topic Author
3 years 10 months ago #210277 by Stephen
Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse was created by Stephen
I have a 1981 Volvo N10 parked in a paddock which is stuck in reverse. The gear stick feels like it is in neutral, but the truck will only reverse. Does anyone know if this can be fixed while in the paddock?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210284 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse
Sounds like a selector fork has jumped out of position or broken. Will need to have a peek inside unless the linkage has so much slack in it and this is causing the problem.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210287 by 180wannabe
A mate's 1418 used to do this every so often, but usually in a forwards gear, and often at an intersection! You are lucky because you know it's in reverse, if it was in a forwards gear you have to remember which one.
With the 1418 we would either give the truck a push or a pull while the driver had the engine running and his foot on the clutch, and holding the gear lever where the selected gear should be. The bit of motion from being pushed or pulled seemed just enough to make something jump, and then you had gears on the stick again.

I have had it happen on our old C1800 Inter truck once, and it's quite a regular occurrence on our 564 Inter front end loader. With them i always have to lift the stick out the top of the gearbox and line things up again. It usually means it's time to build the end of the stick up again.............
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 10 months ago #210301 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse
Is it a 8 or 16 speed? Usual problem with these is to do with range change when it won't go from one to the other or is stuck in between in which case you have no gears. First check would be to go through the linkage to make sure nothing is slipping on it's splines, Otherwise it may be that the selector widget in the box has got very worn and jumped out. Not unknown for the selector cage to be broken . Either way it involves lifting the lid of the box.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210314 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse
its possible that only the stick has come out of the selectorrail slot,and taking off just the change part,the selector can be levered back into neautral with a scrwdriver or small tyre lever.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210342 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse
Sounds Like your Selectors or Gearstick are Worn Out.You'll Have to take the Top of the gearbox Off, Is there a removeable panel in the Floor??

Otherwise, I'd think the Box will have to come out..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by hayseed. Reason: typo

More
3 years 10 months ago #210345 by JOHN.K.
I had a B61 where the compound box selector would come out and jam between the rails ...........and as mentioned ,the early IH AB and C line 1820s had a similar fault where the box would jam between first and reverse.......then if the stick housing was lifted off carelessly ,one of the selector springs could stick to it ,and fall out on the road .....IH redesigned the whole top of the gearbox in 1970.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210408 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse
I'd start simple and work your way back from the shifter to the box as it could well be something loose in the linkages.

If all is well up to the top of the box than yes it's time to take the lid off.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210427 by JOHN.K.
I had a G88 in the 70s ,and went to the bearing shop to get a bearing set for the 8 speed box......anyway ,at the counter the guy says .....youre not going to bring all these back ,are you?....I says Why?.......he says ...Volvo do an exchange gearbox cheaper than the bearing set ......He was right ....I got an exchange box for $400,and it turned out it was brand new........Seems Volvo prices have gone up some since then.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210433 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Volvo N10 Stuck in Reverse
Here is a link to gearbox manual
www.oldaussievolvos.com/pdfs/R60%20Service%20Man%20pt1.pdf
Other manuals are also on this site

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds