Skip to main content

Austin Tilly commercial vehicles.

• Peter Rogers
  • Topic Author
3 years 3 months ago #217413 by Peter Rogers
Austin Tilly commercial vehicles. was created by Peter Rogers
I am about to build a diorama using an Austin Tilly as the centre piece. The scene will be Australian, circa early 50's and will be a fencing contractors ute. Now, i am having a bit of trouble finding pictures of commercial utes period as most interest seems to be in the military version of WW2. I am particularly interested in the colour schemes that were available in that period. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217427 by Morris
Peter,
Good luck with the project. I do not have any pictures of early fifties colour schemes but I can tell you that less than a handful, if any, Austin Tillies ever made it to Australia. As far as I know they were only ever a World War Two Military vehicle.
I am only guessing but I think that the term "Tilly" probably came from the Australian term "Utility" shortened to Ute, for what is called a pickup in the UK and "Backie" in South Africa.
I have a 1929 Chevrolet Ute, 1939 Morris 14 Ute and 1969 Morris 1800 Ute.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 3 months ago #217431 by steveb
There were a few Austin A40 utes in aus. not a lot as the iconic Holden ute had just come on the market , but I seem to remember one of the dominent Austin colours was cream wlth black guards or green and black. Hope this gives you a lead !

More
3 years 3 months ago #217432 by Lang
Here is some information. If you go onto this MLU web site and search for Tillies you will find a huge amount of information.

There were 100+ Standard Tillies imported in 1946 and rebodied with hard cab ute bodies by Richards or Holdens in South Australia. There were also quite a number of "refugee cargo" Tillies landed in Australia from ships that were diverted from Singapore and Java when the Japanese attacked. These compriseed Austin, Morris, Hillman and Standard.

I bought one of those rebodied Standards a few years back just to save it. A friend has done nothing to it and just drives to shows as it was unrestored.

www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31810

Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago #217433 by Lang
Here is some information. If you go onto this MLU web site and search for Tillies you will find a huge amount of information.

There were 100+ Standard Tillies imported in 1946 and rebodied with hard cab ute bodies by Richards or Holdens in South Australia. There were also quite a number of "refugee cargo" Tillies landed in Australia from ships that were diverted from Singapore and Java when the Japanese attacked. These compriseed Austin, Morris, Hillman and Standard.

I bought one of those rebodied Standards a few years back just to save it. A friend has done nothing to it and just drives to shows as it was unrestored.

www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31810

Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #217435 by Lang
Here is some info 1946/7
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds