Skip to main content

Ford 6D/Thames Trader Questions

• Joker
  • Topic Author
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219550 by Joker
Ford 6D/Thames Trader Questions was created by Joker
Hi all,
I have recently bought a Thames Trader and a spare 6D engine. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.
Here is the engine ... a bit dusty from the long drive on dirt roads.
1drv.ms/u/s!AhGh7E3Esa7nj2udaXg5TqkK-3ty?e=3GctLZ
1drv.ms/u/s!AhGh7E3Esa7nj2yxknIaCx_mnCH5?e=9BxVg6
1. On the other side of the engine are 3 fittings. Can anyone identify them. I think a is oil (oil pressure), B is water temp ... no idea what C is.
2. I know that when fitted in a Thames Trader, then engine are mounted on a slant, however this engine was used as a stationary engine. If I what to run it externally (to test it) should I run it on a slant or vertical? Is there any way to tell which way it should be run?

Thanks in advance.

Vernon.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Gryphon. Reason: removed image tags so people can follow links to images.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219555 by cobbadog
As you guessed it, A=oil pressure, B= water temp, C = water drain for the block.

As to how to run this engine. Going by the way the gearbox is attached this should be run in the vertical position as shown in the pic, unless there is an angled sump out of site.
This now makes me ask that if this is or was a slant engine shouldn't there be a slanted shape sump for that application?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219557 by Oilman
Could 'C' be to drain water from the engine block. I don't know the angle of the slant as such, but don't think there would be an issue running it at +/- 30 degrees from normal angle.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #219558 by Oilman
I think 'C' would be water drain for the block.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
3 years 1 month ago #219559 by JOHN.K.
Ford 6/330 cu in diesel ...comonly seen as an industrial engine in air compressors,also popular in boats with various marine conversions .......note the engine must never be run with the vacuum pipes to the throttle plate disconnected........If it wont govern ,th diaphragm may be cracked .......in any case ,a small ammount of neatsfoot oil should be put into the vacuum chamber.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219560 by werkhorse
C looks like a water drain tap...

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
3 years 1 month ago #219563 by mammoth
In general, an engine designed to be fitted on a slant, or horizontal for that mater, will have a sump designed so that it is flat at the bottom. Petrol engines will have the intake manifold designed to hold the carbie in position for the float chamber to be level.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219566 by hayseed
When they fitted those Motors to the D Series at roughly 45 Degrees they had a Different Sump & oil Pickup..

Is Your Truck a "K" series as I have a Workshop Manual that covers both "D" & "K" Series..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Joker
  • Topic Author
3 years 1 month ago #219569 by Joker
Replied by Joker on topic Ford 6D/Thames Trader Questions

cobbadog wrote: As you guessed it, A=oil pressure, B= water temp, C = water drain for the block.

As to how to run this engine. Going by the way the gearbox is attached this should be run in the vertical position as shown in the pic, unless there is an angled sump out of site.
This now makes me ask that if this is or was a slant engine shouldn't there be a slanted shape sump for that application?

Thanks for that info.
I'm pretty sure the sump is flat bottomed and not angled, but I'll take a closer look. I believe this "spare" engine came from a newer model Trader ... the one I bought (but have not yet taken possession of) is the short nosed 1962.

• Joker
  • Topic Author
3 years 1 month ago #219570 by Joker
Replied by Joker on topic Ford 6D/Thames Trader Questions

JOHN.K. wrote: Ford 6/330 cu in diesel ...comonly seen as an industrial engine in air compressors,also popular in boats with various marine conversions .......note the engine must never be run with the vacuum pipes to the throttle plate disconnected........If it wont govern ,th diaphragm may be cracked .......in any case ,a small ammount of neatsfoot oil should be put into the vacuum chamber.

This spare engine has the mechanically governed injection pump. The engine in the vehicle has the vacuum governed pump, so thank you for the advice.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.648 seconds