Skip to main content

International AACO 4X4 Truck

More
2 years 7 months ago #225041 by cobbadog
If your 1 tonner is going off to live with someone new and unknown to you just bog up the rust hole and use a pressure pack can of matching paint , fit the new screen and say good bye to it. Then go and do the deal with the ACCO.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225067 by wee-allis
Cobba, you are so full of it. Someone as pedantic as you suggesting, "Just bog it up and hit it with a pressure pack", ..... really?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
2 years 7 months ago #225071 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck
Haha, excellent idea to bog it up and sell it. I do have two potential problems though:
1) It's not my style to do a crap job if I can avoid it; and
2) It's a fully qualified painter/panel beater who is interested in the 1 Tonner and he also owns the AACO 4X4 truck - if you read between the lines, there's room for a swap of some sort maybe.

Good idea though and that's exactly the sort of thing that the p#$&k who sole the 1 Tonner to me originally did to me. I subsequently rebuilt it from the ground up, including sandblasting and reinforcing the chassis, fitting heavy duty suspension, a new warm 202, a Supra 5-speed gearbox, a new timber and steel tray...... The bodyworks that did the chassis mods for me had quite a few of my parts stored for me too, but somehow a lot of grill panels, guards etc went missing. I wouldn't be keen to do that to someone else, I know what it feels like and what it costs to correct. It was 25 years ago when I originally restored it and drove it 40 odd kms a day for 7 years to a coastal Tasmanian town to work, so time has taken it's toll.

The only things that I'm worried about with the AACO is the time and cost to get it presentable and serviceable. SI registration would be the go, so hopefully that would save a bit, but if engine parts are hard/impossible to find then the exercise would be a bit pointless and I'd be better off with a Landcruiser. ....or put a Detroit 4-71 in it...

Simon

More
2 years 7 months ago #225083 by cobbadog
Was worth a try!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225101 by JOHN.K.
The ideal motor is a 354 Perkins ...fits straight in ,just about.......anyway ,there is no problem with the IH 6-281 parts............my experience of these trucks.....and Ive bought and sold lots of them......is finding a rust free cab .....if you have a fixable cab included ,then Id go for it.....still wouldnt pay more than scrap price tho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
2 years 7 months ago #225105 by projectinter
I reckon the HQ would be worth more than the inter. Especially in a few years.
Buy the inter and put the Holden in the shed and fix her back up later on.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225107 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck
Simon, I am no expert but if it is ex army it is different in perhaps the panel work to the AACO which was the civilian version that was based around the army spec truck. You might swap the tonner for the Inter but they won't perform the same on the open road... the inter will be slow, by tonner and today standards. Lots of people on here and other sites looking to speed up trucks of that vintage. Not any easy or cheap task. Then ya gotta worry about the stoppers at those 80 or 90 k racing speeds. The inter would make a great farm truck.

Good luck.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225115 by JOHN.K.
Actually ,they are not slow ,the 12.00 tyres are well matched to the power,which is not great......They will certainly cruise at 80kph,and hit 100 on a downhill .

More
2 years 7 months ago #225150 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck
John, you will have him overtaking my mighty ACCO.... hard to imagine.....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
2 years 7 months ago #225511 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck
Thanks everyone for your advice.

The truck I looked at has sold to a guy around Beaconsfield in Tasmania. It looks like he just wanted the tip tray and hoist off the truck as it's for sale again on Gumtree as a cab-chassis. The cab is rusty as something that's very rusty, but the spare cab that came with it was considerably better although still a bit rusty in the usual places. It might be a good project for some with some time and skill who's looking for a military Mk3 AACO, but it was just too big of a project to add to my already long list. However, if a perkins powered one comes up, I'll still be tempted.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be getting and extended HJ47 Landcruiser instead which is probably a better proposition for most of the likely work. I just have to work on how to get a few more herbs out of the driveline and 2H engine above what extractors have given it.

Thanks again,
Simon

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.563 seconds