Skip to main content

1963 Austin Metro Van FG K60

More
10 years 2 months ago #136441 by Alexm1
Hello, I am helping to get the above van roadworthy. It is in good nic but has sat for 6 years under cover. Brakes are tight, water leaks etc.
First challenge is getting the rear brake drum off, it looks as though I need to remove the half axle and then the drum, is this so, are there any traps?
Appreciate any advice offered.

Alex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136442 by mammoth
The brakes will be hydraulic so the problems will be common to car hyraulic systems. It is likely that the handbrake has been left on and the linkages are frozen that way. Start with the eazy stuff first - disconnect hand brake linkage as near to drums as you can and see if eases off. I am not familiar with the FG but there should not be any need to take half shafts out - remove wheels and there maybe some keeper screws holding the drum to the hub.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136443 by Alexm1
Mammoth, thanks for the reply. I have done the things you suggest and the brakes are loose now. I want to take the drum off to inspect the linings and the rubbers. I have never seen a drum like this, the wheel studs are fixed to the drum, the drum is held in with a ring nut under the half axle flange. My question is will i upset anything if I remove the half axle and the drum, are there bearings with preload on them for example. I can see how to take it apart, I just want to do so without upsetting anything else.
Thanks again.

Alex

More
10 years 2 months ago #136444 by mammoth
I don't have a manual for them, and it sounds quite odd. As the BMC trucks carry the genome of pre war Morris and Austins I had a look at a 1930's Morris Commercial 3 tonner. It seems that the brake drum and the hub are the one item, and as you say, to remove the brake drum you have to follow what would be the procedure for removing a hub in a more conventional truck. That is remove the half shaft, then the bearing retaining nut and tab washer etc.
The bearings should be set so that there is "only a perceptible amount of end play".

More
10 years 2 months ago #136445 by Alexm1
Mammoth, I found a mechanic today who also has an old Austin and has worked on these type of brake drums, he felt they were quite common! He described the procedure precisely as you have.
Bottom line is that I am comfortable to take it apart now and will do so to make sure all is well under the drum. The truck has been in a museum and it appears the hand brake has been on for 6 years.
Many thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Alex

More
10 years 2 months ago #136446 by Bugly

I don't have a manual for them, and it sounds quite odd. As the BMC trucks carry the genome of pre war Morris and Austins I had a look at a 1930's Morris Commercial 3 tonner. It seems that the brake drum and the hub are the one item, and as you say, to remove the brake drum you have to follow what would be the procedure for removing a hub in a more conventional truck. That is remove the half shaft, then the bearing retaining nut and tab washer etc.
The bearings should be set so that there is "only a perceptible amount of end play".

Zackly the same as an English 'D-Series' Ford. :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 2 months ago #136447 by Alexm1
Must be an English thing. Waiting the rebuild of the brake booster at the moment and it will be on the road. The booster is also interesting, called a hydrovac, it is in the brake line after (and separate from) the master cylinder, like an add on.

Alex

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #136448 by Alexm1
Registered this week, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Alex

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #136449 by cro
How about a pic of your van?

Ill think of something shortly

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #136450 by atkipete
Is it something like this
www.flickr.com/photos/46046969@N03/13259635284/in/photostream/
Seen last week at Fielding